Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can anybody tell me what's with this connection?  (Read 3922 times)

uwe_handshoe

Can anybody tell me what's with this connection?
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:38 PM »

Hello,a couple of months ago I had a lot of disconnections on a previously stable line,the likely cause I couldn't determine.
The connection speed of approx.66Mbps was reduced to 40Mbps,upload speed 17Mbps reduced to 10Mbps.
Not long after that when the speed was still in the range of 40Mbps,it started showing the exact same speed,even after the router restarted,or the line was disconnected.

BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:   0 days, 04:49:47
6. Data rate:   11999 / 43948
7. Maximum data rate:   17461 / 68392
8. Noise margin:   9.9 / 13.2
9. Line attenuation:   23.6 / 16.9
10. Signal attenuation:   23.6 / 17.0

The data rate is exactly the same each time the router restarts,it's been that rate for 3 weeks.(and before that in the 30-40Mbps range for about 1 month)
I've left the router alone,to see if the rate will rise,the only time it restarts is every 4-5 days due to some  WATCHDOG RESET.

I'm wondering,is that speed likely to rise by itself?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Can anybody tell me what's with this connection?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:51:38 PM »

It's very clear your line has been banded with excess of 7dB of spare SNRm to on the downstream and another 3dB on the upstream or you change from 80/20 to 40/10

It is just a pity these modems don't show the amount of errored second you had in the 24 hours before your line was banded and a shame the BT Smart Hub also does not have this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:29:52 PM by NewtronStar »

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »

I see,thanks.

Is this banding a permanent thing?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:27:17 PM »

Is this permanent that depends on how many errored seconds your line sees each 24 hours if it was just a one off large burst that took you over the DLM threshold then it should recover in two weeks.

Any G.INP on your line sorry the HH5A won't show this data, are you connected to a Huawei cabinet ?

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:02 PM »

I think it's a Huawei.

I was using a Homehub 5B when those disconnections were taking place,then when I contacted BT about the problem they said it was the router,so they sent the HomeHub5A.. I wasn't really convinced it was the router.

So,I switched over to that 5A and about a week or two later it was locked at that rate,now almost 3 weeks at that banded rate.
Could Watchdog Reset be due to errored seconds,or is that more likely to be internal hub software errors?

-thanks-

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »

Yes, the image you have shown is of a Huawei MA5603T equipped cabinet.

As for the "Watchdog Reset" events, I am suspicious of the firmware in the BT HH5A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:11:55 AM »

I'll probably switch back to the 5B soon,I dont believe it was faulty..I dont really know how BT India could diagnose that.The 5A hasn't solved the problem,only caused mild annoyance with those resets.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:33:09 AM »

Try the HH5B and again no info of CRC and ES's in the GUI I just can't understand why any ISP would release a modem that does not show these two valuable parameters  >:(

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 12:46:58 AM »

probably to make it harder to convince BT there's a problem.

They seem a bit lightweight on certain feature compared to even the older BT supplied routers.I'm sure they included some sort of error detection test.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »

Is this permanent that depends on how many errored seconds your line sees each 24 hours if it was just a one off large burst that took you over the DLM threshold then it should recover in two weeks.

Sorry, but time and time I say, banding does not remove itself on FTTC, an Openreach broadband boost engineer has to conduct a DLM reset.

uwe_handshoe

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 11:04:27 AM »

well,I've got an normal engineer booked for tomorrow..Although I've got a feeling BT India staff booked the engineer just to get me off the phone,then cancelled the appointment.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »

If you have an Openreach telephony engineer booked, they won't be able to do a DLM reset. You need to emphasise that an Openreach broadband boost engineer is booked.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »

If the fault that caused the banding is fixed then DLM will automatically remove the banding after a few days

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »

If the fault that caused the banding is fixed then DLM will automatically remove the banding after a few days

Are you sure? My rubbish Asus DSL-AC68U caused my line to be banded after it dropped the line many times a day for about 2 months. I switched to an HG612, and frequently had uptimes of 60 days or more, with virtually no ES/SES, and a year later I was still banded. Sometimes banding seems to stick *forever* if DLM thinks something is so bad with your line.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »

How was banding removed?
Pages: [1] 2

anything