Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Now is the time to update if you're a Norton/Symantec user ...  (Read 2241 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Now is the time to update if you're a Norton/Symantec user ...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »

Who even uses Norton on here? :O

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:03 PM »

I do and have done for a long time.
It does automatic updates of whatever needs to be updated (program or definitions etc) every 15 minutes

It WAS a memory/performance hog in the mid 2000's but since then it was totally re-written as I recall and now I do not notice it on my PC at all when it is doing either its quick or full scans or its downloads/updates.

I have never had any nasties on my computer though Norton has blocked me from visiting some websites where it found something unpleasant on them and has blocked a couple of downloads of programs recommended on a UK techie forum as they we deemed to contain PUP's within the installer.

I also use the PC for business purposes and social club type stuff storing on it personal details so it is pretty well a business insurance compliance requirement to be able to show that you have a 'paid for' constantly updated full internet security suite on your computers.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »

I think the problem for Norton is one of perception. Some years ago it was indeed the bain of almost everyone's life and a real problem program which you needed a special uninstaller to get rid of it. I gave it up years ago. Now I dont need it because I use Linux on all but one PC which still has W7 but there I dont worry too much as it is not used for email (has no configured client) and is rarely if ever used for surfing except by me to access my own website.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything