Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Oh Arrh, they be mucking with my cabinet!  (Read 3118 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Oh Arrh, they be mucking with my cabinet!
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:54:41 PM »

On way home last evening, I thought my PCP had gained a little extra. Passed it armed with camera this morning and man was working on it. Apparently the little extra is an expansion of the PCP as there is no more room. For what worth they may be, here are a few photos. The FTTC cab is a small ECI. OR engineer must have had a nightmare job with all those wires to connect.

I've no idea if the work on the cab could have played up with my line, but I found that I had lost internet connection last evening at ~9 p.m. and was not restored until 8 this morning.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: Oh Arrh, they be mucking with my cabinet!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

Is that a gfast pod?

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:53:48 PM »

Is that a gfast pod?

Looks like it to me... it's certainly got a Huawei design.....

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »

No vents so I doubt it's a G.Fast pod.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »

No vents so I doubt it's a G.Fast pod.
That I thought it might be was the reason for my interest, but seeing it was not vented made me think not. This was confirmed by the engineer, who I understood to say it was for more lines. He did not appear sure about the fibre side of things, but there is a waiting list ATM.

He did point out to me the thick cables on r.h. side being the link to the FTTC cab

As a local I am trying to think why the need for extra capacity in the PCP. We are a mature area and I am unaware of any substantial new domestic or industrial building planned. However, was there not some sort of talk about network re-arrangements to facilitate things like G-fast?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:48 PM »

I think you will find that is a stand-off cabinet extension purely to provide the required space for tie-cables to/from a fibre cabinet. Nothing whatsoever to do with G.Fast . . .  :no:

I know (but I can't put my paws on it at the moment) that they have been discussed here in the past. Search back through the forum posts and you will find some pictures (I have a strong suspicion) which were taken in London. I am also fairly certain that Black Sheep provided input to the discussion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »

This appeared on my cabinet sometime last year

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5667742,-0.0810774,3a,30y,137.68h,80.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgCJZS4v3btqH94Lr7pEyog!2e0!5s20150501T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I thought this was the kind that provided extra tie cables, although I guess there could be different designs.

Stamford Hill Exchange, cabinet 35

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »

I think you will find that is a stand-off cabinet extension purely to provide the required space for tie-cables to/from a fibre cabinet. Nothing whatsoever to do with G.Fast . . .  :no:

I know (but I can't put my paws on it at the moment) that they have been discussed here in the past. Search back through the forum posts and you will find some pictures (I have a strong suspicion) which were taken in London. I am also fairly certain that Black Sheep provided input to the discussion.
To clarify matters,the mention of G-fast in my post immediately before yours was not to say the addition had anything to do with G-fast, rather that could it be something about network reorganisation, about which I thought (dreamt maybe) I had read.