Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Pi - SD card wear with mysql employment

(1/3) > >>

roswellgrey:

--- Quote from: roswellgrey on November 02, 2014, 10:04:34 AM ---<snip>

Long term soak test seems the only realistic way forward to see if a very early card failure happens :)

--- End quote ---

One of the more interesting things to come out of that aged thread were concerns about long term write wear on a Pi's SD card (in my case a cheapo blue Sandisk) and whether continual usage of mysql and other regular card writes would, in effect,  rapidly "wear out" the card.

Well, 18 months on, I thought some might be interested in an update.

The mysql database now has > 350,000 rows (a mixture of normal data and some quite heavy blobs) & I deliberately left on a horrible amount of debug file logging to maximise the number of writes to the card.

Outcome (so far): The SD card has behaved itself, and has exhibited no problems whatsoever.

How long will it last ? Who knows .... only time will tell ... if it ever fails, I will post an update.

burakkucat:
Thank you for that update, it is useful to know.  :)

Weaver:
Very worrying, the whole idea of flash wear. After all one of the main attractions is to get higher reliability compared with mechanical disks.

Does anyone know if such a thing as higher durability flash is available from some quality suppliers?

Who makes the fastest high quality flash drives in the categories of write speed and read speed ?

roseway:
Flash wear is certainly an issue, but it's less of an issue with newer flash drives. Several people are using a Raspberry Pi for running DSLstats and uploading to MDWS, and this involves several reads and writes every minute while processing and uploading data from the modem. The flash drives won't last for ever working like this, but they seem to be holding up pretty well.

Weaver:
Aside: On a Linux box such as most Raspberry Pis, is there an alternative to flogging flash drives with frequent writes? Is it possible to have a ramdisk? Although I'm sure physical RAM will be in extremely short supply, so stealing it might hurt system performance badly. A very modest one might give performance gains for temp files, although that might not suit this particular use-case for several reasons. Also if Linux does flash file system caching in using RAM with lazy write-back then the performance gain might be non-existent.

Btw does Linux on a Raspberry Pi do virtual memory with a pagefile on flash? Fantastic to have a non-existent ‘seek time’ for random access, the killer with pagefiles, but evil in terms of wear because of the huge number of writes per second.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version