Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vigor 130 Woes  (Read 9867 times)

highpriest

• Reg Member
Re: Vigor 130 Woes
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

FTTPoD cost me £3700 in setup (construction) charges and then £300 per month on a 3 year contract :sob:

Wow. Is that the 1000/220 package?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »

As I said earlier, I was disappointed with the speed of my Vigor 130, albeit a very crappy unscientific test on my part. That was on sub-2Mbps d/s ADSL1 so be warned about the relevance. Loved the zero-config fesign of it, brilliant. It just works. The possibly-unique protocol conversion of PPPoE on the Lan to PPPoA over DSL is a killer feature, extra speed literally for free (relevance depends on your chosen MTU), and I love the full MTU of 1508. So I absolutely love it, just wish it happened to be more aggressive in my case.

Would always want to give one a try because at 1508 MTU it just beats all other separate modems if at the same DSL bitrate (i.e. all things being equal) by 3% for flat-out downloads because of the greater efficiency of PPPoA. (In fact, the speed efficiency gain depends on packet size, see my wikipedia piece on PPPoEoA efficiency, difference will be zero for 1492-byte IP PDUs, or huge, v roughy ~+100%, for very small packets.)

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »

Wow. Is that the 1000/220 package?

No, its the FTTPoD 330/30 package. Despite Openreach announcing new 500 & 1000mbps speed packages on FTTP/FTToD a month or two ago, no ISP is selling these yet. According to Fluidata, hardly any BT 21CN exchange supports speeds > 330 mbps yet on the FTTP service, so it will be a while before they common. Actually come to think of it not many ISPs sell the 330/30 FTTP product either...from the top of my head its just BT, IDNet and Fluidata. Others such as Zen & AAISP only sell the 40/10 & 80/20 packages on FTTP, ie same as FTTC.

Anyway once my FTTPoD goes live (approx. end of April) I'll let you know how it is. Fluidata have been very impressive so far (they're the 'AAISP' of business), I have been assigned a dedicated support person who will keep me informed of the progress of my order.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything