Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A GUI Access  (Read 10632 times)

g3tcg

ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A GUI Access
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »

Hi All,    I have a problem.
SW 13CO   This router works well.
 Problem is access to the setup screen, Via 192.168.1.1  Its worked in the past, but not for the last month or so.
 Its OK from my Dell 990, windows 10,   WiFi  & Ethernet.
 Its OK from my Samsung NC10, windows 10, WiFi  & Ethernet  BUT I get “There is a problem with this website’s security certificate”  If I ignor and continue I get to the setup     screen OK.

From my desk top, windows 10, Ethernet connected, Intel 82579V,  web access OK,  I can’t get to the setup screen,   I get  “ This page can’t be displayed”
 Fix connection says “Protocol missing” .   Fix repair as an Administrator  says  “Fixed”......But still no access to the setup screen.
 I have the impression that this is a Certificate, Permissions or firewall error.
 I have read pages 243 to 249 in the manual but I don’t understand them enough to make any changes.
 ipconfig /all   seems correct on the Dell & the desk top.
 Ping 192.168.1.1 is OK

Is this a router or computer problem ?
Your help is appreciated.
Malcolm

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A GUI Access
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »

Is your browser configured to use the HTTPS protocol? If I try to access mine that way I get an error saying insecure connection. However using HTTP works just fine. What browser are you using and make sure it does not have any extension which forces HTTPS everywhere, or if it does set an exception for your router.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

g3tcg

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »

Hi Stuart, Thanks for quick reply. I use IE 11 & Chrome, says updated.

In Chrome, settings, Advanced, network, trusted sites, sites .... Google is https .... but 192.168.1.1 is http
I reset settings,  no change.
In HTTPS/SSL...Man Certs    I have nothing in presonal,  In Other People, Google.
IN Intermediate CA & Trusted Root Cert there are lots,  In Trusted Publishers 5.

Does this help, or am I in the wrong place?
Malcolm

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:39:32 AM »

The HTTPS was just a guess since it is the only way I can get a security error trying to login to my 8924. I dont use Windows or Chrome but I do suspect it is something to do with your browser. Maybe a Windows user will have some ideas.

Stuart

g3tcg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:07:07 AM »

Hi Stuart,  Thanks for your help,  I shall keep investigating.
I have emailed ZyXEL, may even get a reply.

Thanks Malcolm

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »

I am a little intrigued with this error, since I can find quite a few message elsewhere that this happens only if using the HTTPS protocol. Now I am aware that there are add-ons available for some browsers which force HTTPS everywhere and maybe it does this under the covers so simply typing HTTP does not always end up using HTTP. I just used HTTPS in Firefox and was able to view the certificate and store it as an exception which then allowed me in. To be honest I'd just do that on my system since there is no real security issue here. I just dont see how you could get the error if actually using HTTP protocol which is why I am sceptical and think something is going on in your browser to change this under the covers to HTTPS.

Stuart

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:19 PM »

The router can be configured for plain HTTP (text) - port 80 - or encrypted HTTPS (TLS/SSL) - port 443 - web services.

Either or both can be enabled or disabled in the router's Maintenance > Remote MGMT (Management) menu. In the configuration dialog the services should be enabled for the LAN/WLAN (Local Area Network/Wireless Local Area Network) but not for WAN (Wide Area Network a.k.a. Public Internet).

Having verified those settings from a PC that can access the administration functions use the same PC to confirm it can connect using both methods:

Unencrypted:http://192.168.1.1/

Encrypted: https://192.168.1.1/

In particular, once connected using Unencrypted, examine the address bar of the browser and confirm the connection is definitely "http://" and doesn't show a a padlock or any security certificate information - if it showed that it would mean the connection was *redirected* from unencrypted to encrypted by something in the browser.

Now do the same test on the PC with the problem.

My betting is either a setting in the browser, or some extension (a.k.a. Add On) is forcing the unencrypted connection to be redirected to the encrypted HTTPS port.

The problem here is that the security certificate being presented by the router to the browser when using HTTPS isn't issued by a Certificate Authority recognised by the browser - it is a so-called "Self Signed" (i.e. by Zyxel) certificate.

Some browsers will warn that the certificate isn't trusted and allow you to set a temporary, or permanent, exception in the browser's configuration so the certificate is trusted for future connections.

Some browsers may be configured not to allow the user to choose which certificates they trust in which case the error message you report is the likely outcome.

(Personally I have more trust in self-signed certificates I've examined than any certificate signed by the hundreds of the world-wide Certificate Authorities browsers generally trust by default).

I've attached a screenshot of Firefox's Certificate Advanced Information and Exception dialogs when accessing a Zyxel over HTTPS.

g3tcg

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »

Hi TJ,    WOW  Thanks for the reply. 
I had all (7) of the LAN/WLAN ticked in RMGMT & nothing else. There is a down arrow for HTTPS Certificate.

In the following the 990 is the WiFi connected m/c that can connect to the ZyXEL.
The DT is my desk top that is Ethernet connected to the ZyXEL but can't access it.

Unencrypted,   The 990 connects to the ZyXEL using either IE or Chrome.
The DT  won't connect using either.

Encrypted,    The 990 won't connect using Chrome, IE gives certification error, & will connect on override.
The DT  won't connect using Chrome & gives 'Not Private',  & IE won't connect & gives Certification error, override goes to timeout.

I am using Kaspersky IS fully updated. I have made all the setting in both computers the same ....  NO change.

On the 990 when connected the address bar is  http://192.168.1.1/index.html  no padlock.

On the DT (Chrome) there is a black padlock while typing, up to the moment of click when it seems to vanish & 'This site can't be reached'.
On the DT (IE) there is a black padlock while typing, which changes to a RED shield & 'This page can't be displayed.

So it looks like you are correct, its an encryption problem.  If the ZyXEL is enabled to http & https why is this a problem ?  (no security certificate).

I looked on the Web for a Zyxel certificate but got lost & confused, is there one in the 990 I can copy to the DT ?

Thanks for your help, I thing you have narrowed it down.

Best regards Malcolm

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »

Malcolm I still dont understand here. Any PC should connect to the router using the HTTP protocol as it does not need or check any security certificate, if your desktop does not do this then the issue is with the desktop and nothing to do with the router. You simply dont need any cert for HTTP. There is something funny with your desktop which is causing this. If you insist on using HTTPS then simply go and tell the browser to add an exception for the cert which is sent by the router.

Stuart

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »

@g3tcg

If you haven't already done so, I would do a power off reboot of the router.

I find this fixes all sort of strange things with the GUI, IMO the reboot button in the GUI just doesn't do a full reset of the memory.

First check the routers memory usage, if it's up in the high 80's% then I would definitely recommend a power off reboot -- should bring the memory usage down to the low 60's%

g3tcg

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »

@ Stuart  Sorry the replies were to the tests TJ asked me to do.

I don't insist on using https.

From my wired desk top http://192.168.1.1 does not access the router setup page, as it did for the last year.

You suggested that https may be the problem.....and so it seems.

Two other computers & my phone will access the setup page.

The Dell990 is configured the same in Kaspersky as the desk top.

I am glad you told me that http does not need any security certificates. I can look elseware.

I only want the router access for dslstats.
Malcolm

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:22 PM »

From my desk top, windows 10, Ethernet connected, Intel 82579V,  web access OK,  I can’t get to the setup screen,   I get  “ This page can’t be displayed”
 Fix connection says “Protocol missing” .   Fix repair as an Administrator  says  “Fixed”......But still no access to the setup screen.

I am pretty sure that the protocol missing bit is a Win10 issue - but that doesn't necessarily resolve your issue.

Have you considered trying a different f/w version on the modem - v14 perhaps?

I am just happy to learn Win10 works on a NC10 - must upgrade mine from XP one day.

Iam_TJ

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 12:10:30 AM »

The DT is my desk top that is Ethernet connected to the ZyXEL but can't access it.

The DT  won't connect using either.
Which Ethernet port on the router is the 'DT' connected to?

Is the 5th (WAN) port being used and if so has the Network -> Home Networking > 5th Ethernet Port been "enabled" ?

I am using Kaspersky IS fully updated. I have made all the setting in both computers the same ....  NO change.
Does this software have an option to force outgoing web (HTTP) connections to try encrypted HTTPS instead? Have you tried accessing the Zyxel web interface from the 'DT' with this software totally disabled?

I don't use Microsoft Windows at all; on GNU/Linux these kinds of invasive monitoring tools are simply not needed, but everything you've described points to some software layer on the PCs interfering.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »

Perhaps if he uses a live Linux distro to boot affected machine(s) this will rule out hardware errors and leave the problem to either Windoze or internet security software.
I use Bullguard (because it's free from John lewis BB) and this will shut off access to the internet ports ??? until it's happy with the setup/updates, caused me a few headaches.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

g3tcg

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »

@ TJ   Hi thanks for the reply & your thoughts.
The DT is connected to LAN1,  same on others.
The 5th LAN port is disabled,  I did enable it & try it, same result.

I connected my ACER laptop (Win7 Bitdefender) to LAN4  all OK.

Kaspersky settings,  I have made the 990 (wifi)  & the DT (wired) as similar as they can be,  no change.

I turned all the Kaspersky settings off,  no change.

I can't find if if Kaspersky translates the address.  I can't find a simple OFF for it, without deleting it.

There others on the Web with the same problems  ( Kaspersky stops my router access )

There is a rumour that the latest Win 10 update is causing this sort of problems, that could tie-in date-wise.

All this stops me using Dslstats as it can't access the router. It all worked for 9 months or so, so something has changed !!

@ parkdale,   I expect your right, Linux is beyond me, dispite several Rpis & arduino & a heap of mags,  I can't get past the initial start.
Just like the ZX80/81,  the C:> defeats me !!!!

@ NBR,  Tried several times, including the 30/30/30 reboot & re-setup,  no change. Thanks for the reminder.

Before CPU 10-50%,  MEM 60%  NAT 0%,   AFTER CPU 5-60%  MEM 60%  NAT 0%,  NOW CPU 8.55%  MEM 60%  NAT 0%.

Other interesting,  LAN1 1000/ Full,  LAN 234 N/A,  2.4WLAN 144.5M,  5G WLAN 450M,  EWAN N/A,  DSL RX 47858  TX 16270.

Thanks to all for your interest & help,  Malcolm.
Pages: [1] 2

anything