Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: microsoft to start bundling non security updates as one large rollup.  (Read 8784 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

This also applies to win 8.1, posting here as this section has more traffic.

Whilst this may make things easier, it essentially removes a degree of control over which updates to install, now instead of each update been offered individually, there is just one big update which has them all included (security updates still be individual).

The first thing that comes to my mind is the win10 GWX update, I assume this will be in the big update, so a end user can either install no non security updates or all of them, not just "some" of them.

It is unknown at the moment if individual updates can be uninstalled after installing the big cumulative update.

I cannot help think with the timing of this, this is to get the stubborn people who have not upgraded, and started to hide the win10 updates to force their hand a bit.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

I do most of my updating via a 3rd party tool instead of windows update, hopefully individual hotfixes will sstill be packaged seperatly somewhere.

AArdvark

• Kitizen

MS are getting more and more devious & this would be par for the course.

Recently tried a Win 10 upgrade on very old Atom based box.
It has slightly improved but still too 'Chad Valley' in UI design and still spys on everything :(

Also see no evidence of the 'works better on older slower kit'.

I got better responsiveness on Win 7 and have lost the ability to change the fps to match refresh rate of dvd's and/or Blueray's.

I will no doubt have another dabble after the next big update etc. :)

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk (Typos & bad formatting are free)

tommy45

• Reg Member

Most of their optional updates were not needed anyway

loonylion

• Reg Member

Apparently on the latest update, clicking the X button in the top corner to dismiss the 'upgrade available' window now initiates the upgade process  :o

tommy45

• Reg Member

Not on my box it wont ,all the telemetry has been removed from Win 7 as well, as for their updates fine i won't install them  don't really bother me