Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: old fashioned grey cabinet?  (Read 2668 times)

clayyy

old fashioned grey cabinet?
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »

hello,  is it at all possible that an old unused street cabinet could be grey here

i assumed this was a lighting control box but noticed a similar one here:

The second one is the same in every way but has a much clearer T for Telecomm symbol with the dots at the top right arm of the T

The reason i ask is that it might explain the placement of the cabinet for the area north of Langdykes road is placed here and so 'superfast' FTTC coverage doesnt cover many houses
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:37:01 PM by clayyy »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: old fashioned grey cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

Can't comment on the FTTC situation you face ................ but can confirm that those 'grey' boxes are actually BT green fibreglass shelled cabinets  ;D.

clayyy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »

thanks for confirming this, countless engineers give a 'nope, always green, must be lights!'

would most nearby phone lines be passing through this as normal then? even when on registers they might be down as connected to the cabinet nearer the FTTC cab. As no engineers seem to go near it, would this essentially just be another joint for the line?

it just seems a strange set up

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »

Yeah, it was shiny and green once!  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:37:09 PM »

I'm not 100% certain what I'm answering here ?? But for clarification ....... the two link's you have provided are BT Cab Shells. Where they are located in relation to your premises, or whether you circuit actually runs through these same Cabs I wouldn't know, I'm afraid ???

There are umpteen dis-used, or erected but never used shells (Cabs) knocking around ..... especially of this type. The usual give-away as to whether it is a working shell or not is if there is a number painted on the front somewhere ?? Each one has it's own number. I will apply the caveat that not every single one will display a number, but these will be in the small percentages.

clayyy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:32:16 PM »

i guess you've answered my unclear question :) i was really asking if it was possible it was now empty as its never accessed by any engineers and all houses nearby are listed as being served by a far away, numbered green cabinet.

i wasnt sure if it would be empty or would be containing 'straight-through' connections up to the other cabinet.

It's not got any numbers on it.

i appreciate your time in answering

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »

:) :) No worries, clayyy.  :)