Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stabilisation peroid.  (Read 3894 times)

luke howitt

Stabilisation peroid.
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »

on the 31st March, I finally got connected to BT in my new house. As being a new house, it had never gotten a broadband connection so I got put on the Stabilisation peroid or optimisation peroid. It is the 2nd day of the process and its reading:

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 8064
US Margin 24
DS Margin 7
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 32
US Line Attenuation 31
Path Mode Interleaved

I am just checking if this looks healthy to all of you. As a BT employee told me, at the moment they are testing a solid 8Mb line, then soon be testing a 2Mb line then on the 9th-10th day be testing full optimisation which i believe is something like 8187kbps correct?
However, it seems that the exchange only supports an ADSL max speed of up to 4.5 megs according to the reader on the website, or is this reader just an estimation and it could have actually been updated to 8MB? Im just slightly confused!

Just a comfort question really, plus from advise I've seen from Kitz, I have kept on nagging them to make sure the bRAS profile is set after the stabilisation is complete.

Also, as it says that DS is 8064 kbps does this mean that I should be getting speed reflecting this, or should the internet be VERY slow and unresponsive as it is at the moment?

Thanks

Luke
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:23:02 PM by luke howitt »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Stabilisation peroid.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »

Hi Luke and welcome.

You've got a good line, and you should get an IP profile of 7000 kbps. I see that your line is interleaved, which may slightly limit the highest speed which you can get, but the difference is very small (the top IP profile is 7150). The only downside is that interleaving will increase your latency (ping response time), which may possibly be an issue if you are a gamer with fast reactions.

I don't think we would advise you to do any more nagging at this stage - the IP profile should be set automatically without any human intervention being required.

I think you have to wait until the end of the 10-day period before your download speeds can be properly assessed, particularly as it's a brand new telephone line.
  Eric

luke howitt

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »

Ah ok, its just that the internet seems to be as fast as dial up at some times then will briefly go faster. Is this what happens in the stability period? I guess if its "training" it so to say then it will be out of sync in regular intervals?

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »

Reduced speed can be caused by all sorts of things, but you shouldn't really get dial-up speeds. If you want the detail of what happens during the training period, you could read this. When the training period is over, if you still find there are periods of very low download speed, then we could take a look at the figures and try to get to the bottom of it.
  Eric

luke howitt

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »

Oh ok, well i wouldnt say it was dial-up speed then, its just when it goes out of sync at regular intervals, it seems that the speed is slow as it keeps starting and stopping. Download speed atm is averaging at around 25kb/s and game play online with games such a Call of Duty 4 pings every 10 seconds. Just seeing if that sounds normal in the training period.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »

You probably know this already - but don't forget that you should turn your router off and reboot at least once a day during the training period.

luke howitt

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »

Yea i kind of already knew that theres only been one day where i have not done so, so shouldnt be a problem. You would think that for the average internet user this kind of information such as undergoing a stabilisation period would be informed to you so you actually know whats happening. I knew about these things, but they didnt even mention that i was on the max dsl line as i never used to be

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »

You probably know this already - but don't forget that you should turn your router off and reboot at least once a day during the training period.

Not sure that's strictly true...
It doesn't hurt to restart your router (I would stick to day time hours to optimise your line sync) during this period but I don't believe it's a 'requirement'. If you know better please let me know.

From my experience the information provided by ISPs to new ADSL Max customers could certainly be improved.

luke howitt

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:46:41 PM »

finally on the last day.

Just to say is it suppost to keep connecting and disconnecting on a regular basis on this last day?

Ammit

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 11:47:44 AM »

Not necessarily but I would always say leave it until the training period is over, if you are still getting intermittency then complain.  It may just be that they've put you on the lowest possible profile - or it could even be exchange work that is going on. 

Is your connection still intermittent??