Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: inbound call whitelisting device  (Read 4072 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
inbound call whitelisting device
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »

Does such a thing exist.

So by default blocks all inbound calls, but then you can whitelist e.g. relatives and local area codes.

Right now considering disconnecting my landline phone, as its mostly just sales calls, insurance schemes etc. but my parents refuse to ring mobile phones, and I give my landline to the nhs to contact me on.

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: inbound call whitelisting device
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »

I've just installed a trueCall device for an elderly friend who was suffering from unwanted calls. Out of the box it will interrogate the caller and prompt for their name, then ring the phone and play back the recording when you can choose to block or accept. Numbers can be added to your whitelist as they are received, when you call them or from the attached phone. Also has an answering machine. It comes pre-programmed with known nuisance numbers and is configurable. It is quite expensive, but by all accounts effective.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/product-p/cb1.htm
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »

As I think I have mentioned before on this forum, my VOIP lines never get junk calls, but the BT/SKY phone number that I never give out to anybody, still sometimes receives them.  You can always give your relatives their personal VOIP phone number for calls to you..................

Dray

• Kitizen

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »

CPR call blocker is very programmable I have not had any bloody nuisance calls since it's the best £40 I have ever spent and if one gets through press the block button.

if you block it by accident you can undo this, any calls that get through are now whitelisted

https://www.cprcallblocker.com/products/protect
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:29:17 PM by NewtronStar »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »

I take it you have already signed up to the Telephone Preference Service.

BT are also introducing a new service later this year which should do what many of the devices already mentioned do but at a network level.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35545914
http://home.bt.com/news/bt-life/bt-offers-breakthrough-service-to-divert-huge-numbers-of-nuisance-calls-11364039280071

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:15:18 PM »

BT are also introducing a new service later this year which should do what many of the devices already mentioned do but at a network level.

Will this be a free service or an extra payed for service ?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »

I understand BT Blacklist will be free and you can register for information at  www.bt.com/nuisancecalls

BT are also one of the firms who have signed Ofcom’s related Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Nuisance Calls: www.talktalkgroup.com/~/media/Files/T/TalkTalk-Group/2015/Nuisance%20Calls-Tech%20Measures%20-%20MoU.pdf

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 02:24:44 AM »

I always been on TPS, but that seems useless, I actually suspect its used by companies to make calls as those will be confirmed live numbers.

Its very important the device is whitelist not blacklist, as blacklist is always one step behind.

I want anything I not specifically allowed to be blocked.  The  BT8600 Home Phone looks ideal, contact list as whitelist, rest blocked.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:27:23 AM by Chrysalis »

anything