Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interesting Homeplug (LAN over mains) test  (Read 2911 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Interesting Homeplug (LAN over mains) test
« on: May 12, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »

Having changed some of the devices we use recently I decided to reconsider our wifi coverage.
Currently we have a dual-band BT-HH5a (many thanks Newtronstar  :angel: ) with separately-named networks for 2.4 and 5 GHz, located near the master socket by the front door.
At the back of the house reception is poor (better at 2.4GHz) and smartphones will often switch to using phone data which is not ideal.

I've got a lot of old Netgear routers so I reconfigured one as an access point with DGTeam firmware and used some old Devolo Homeplugs (max 85mbps) to link it back to the router. Located this in a room at the back.
Speed was acceptable, but only about a third of that attainable near the router which is often about 90% of my 18mbps broadband speed.

Then I realised that I was on a ring main in a part of the house extended many years ago, mostly on a separate small consumer unit.
As it happens that room has one group of plugs connected back to the main CU via a ring main, testing there got me about two-thirds speed.
The router itself is on a short spur from a ring main so not exactly ideal, though fairly close to the consumer unit.

Then I thought about our garden. We have an outhouse (once a garage!) at the far end of the garden by the vegetable patch and it has power! A direct armoured cable straight from its own circuit in the CU. But almost 40 metres long.  ???
So I carted the kit up there, along with a socket adapter and plugged it in. The best speeds of all, same as wired to the router!  ;D

I'm not sure what lessons this gives, but it's opened up the options for us to have better wifi connection, even while digging the potatoes!
A bit more testing is required, but I'll probably invest in some smaller, integrated units suited to the job - one wired master and two wifi slaves.

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Interesting Homeplug (LAN over mains) test
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:52:49 PM »

Ours work to the outbuildings.  Host (wired) plug on a ring main in the living room, remote (wired and wireless) in the garage.  The garage panel is served by around 50m of SWA from separate meter tails split before the house consumer unit.   Will need to try one in the more remote shed, another further 40m of SWA from a breaker in the garage.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 04:16:41 PM »

I've just ordered  from Amazon a:
 "TP-LINK TL-WPA281KIT V3 AV200 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack "

In fact, testing with my bodged up old kit located at an optimum (and likely/plausible) position at the rear of the house I get good coverage all the way up to the vegetable patch, just losing it in the far concealed corner.

I think that's because it's almost all line-of-sight and through a large patio door, so only two thin panes of glass. Not sure what realistic wifi range is outdoors.
If that is inadequate when the TP-LINK kit arrives I'll just get another slave unit for the garage, they are cheap enough. Or just carry it up and plug it in when working there.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:21:54 PM by HPsauce »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:22:10 PM »

Well the TP-Link kit arrived today and worked fine "out of the box" though I did change the wifi SSID and password from the defaults.

Coverage is excellent throughout the back garden and I don't actually need it located in the garage, though I have tested it there and get the same performance as if directly connected to the HomeHub5a.  :cool:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »

[off-topic:] (yes, I know)

Until recently, I used to have a line of site WAP-to-WAP wireless link outside. This went from a house upstairs window to a window in another building some < 50 m away. The link was implemented by two TP-Link WAP devices, one in client mode, and the far end was in turn linked to  a dual-band ZyXel WAP that served the inside of the other building. This worked really, really well.

My religious beliefs would in any event not allow me to use comms-over-mains. (Grrr.)  ;D

I might do the same kind of thing again, this time to our summerhouse which is in the field in front of the main house. The summerhouse has a metal roof, so getting line-of-sight to its near-end window would enable me to then relay the connection to a well-sited WAP in the summerhouse itself, so you could get superb signal wherever you sit.

anything