Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th  (Read 14842 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends on July 29th
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2016, 12:50:16 PM »

Windows 10 Anniversary and Windows 7 seem to talking nicely now  :)  :fingers:
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2016, 04:12:12 PM »

Whats broken with Avast on W10, I've not noticed anything yet? I haven't received the anniversary update yet though.

It is related to the secure boot driver enforcement change, it was not applied in any of the insider builds prior to the AU update so it caught many security vendors by surprise.

As I said before Win10 cannot be relied on for a stable platform where "things just work", it's code "subject to change" when microsoft deem fit.  They have took on a rapid development model which some people like, but some people also dont like it.  Thats why it is a love it or loathe it product.

Also it seems the AU update prevents some group policies from working on pro edition, they can still be configured but now silently fail if it isnt a enterprise or education, or server SKU.

I expect a phone call from my dad soon as well when all the data mining tasks get re enabled in task scheduler making his pc slow to a crawl again. :(
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:15:49 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »

Even if the free upgrade to Windows 10 pro has ended you can still purchase a licence key for close to two packets of cigs £20 and have a feeling the only way to get Win10 to work correctly on this PC is to do a fresh install over the old Vista OS HD and continue to work with Win8.1 OS HD dual boot until Win10 it's working the way it should.

PS my line is buggering about this evening
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:54:03 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]