Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Where do you guys get your PI stuff?  (Read 4146 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Where do you guys get your PI stuff?
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »

I have been looking at what I would like to run on a low power device and decided that the new Rapsberry PI would be ideal. I was wondering where is the best or perhaps most reliable place to look to buy from here in the UK?

Also from what I've seen most places that sell a bundle sell it with NOOB which I gather contains most of the s/w you need. Obviously I am quite familiar with Linux although not Debian which I gather is the usual distro used. Initially I'm looking to probably move DSLStats to a PI and then the other major thing to get going would be a CalDav server, anyone know if there is one which will install on the PI?

I suppose one last question would be is it better to buy a starter kit or purchase the bits separately?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Where do you guys get your PI stuff?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

I just bought a Pi 3B from The Pi Hut. This time I also got a 16 GB MicroSD card with NOOBS on it, a stick-on heatsink for the CPU, and a power supply. You may well be able to buy these components as a kit, but I prefer to choose exactly what I want.
  Eric

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:40:58 AM »

I've used various places as sometimes there is an offer, but generally I get my Raspberry Pis and accessories from CPC.

I've also used Pi Hut, Pimoroni (I like their cases and accessories) Amazon and Ebay for a few accessories - cheap Chinese cases for around a pound that broke after a few months!

All the suppliers I've used have been good, excepting the quality of the Chinese case - but you get what you pay for.

Ian

fluotech

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »

For what it's worth, I've found Maplin also have a pretty good selection of boards and accessories. They Pi 3 kit (complete with NOOBS) is only a couple of quid cheaper than Pi Hut, but maybe I'm just a penny pincher!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:54:27 PM »

Will always use Amazon for fast delivery plus the piece of mind if the item does not turn up at the doorstep within 7 days then no fuss with getting the money back

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Create-Raspberry-Official-Starter-International/dp/B01E92TNRA/ref=pd_lpo_147_tr_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PYS6K8AJ9ZMM0BFHTFC