Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: New "BT Smart Hub"  (Read 69921 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: New "BT Smart Hub"
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2016, 07:12:59 PM »

Well I'm well and truly hacked off with BT again....

Just looked at my account and its now had 2 charges applied for the hubs and their postage...

The BT care team have come back with they can't help me and that the new hub testing team have also got no answers either...

I don't remember signing up to a trial/beta test...

So I've just updated my open complaint regarding BT's terrible customer service with a demand for the duplicate order to be credited immediately and also a £50 goodwill gesture to cover the the cost of the new hub due to its status (being in testing stages still)

>:(

And I'm double hacked off.

As an existing customer I was given a "personalised" offer via email which enticed me to re-contract for Infinity 2 about 4 weeks ago.  If I re-contracted I would avoid the upcoming general July price increase. So I signed up.

However it now seems that by accepting another "personalised" email offer regarding the SmartHub (I had registered pre-interest) about 10 days later BT have told me that I technically have re-contracted for a second time and have to pay the £4 a month Infinity 2 price increase.

So I now have a SmartHub (that they admit does not work properly -yet); which they don't want back; have had to revert back to the HG612/HH4 kit; and have ended up paying an additional £4 a month on my Infinity 2 contract.

BT have stitched me up like a kipper. They are a complete disgrace.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2016, 02:13:38 AM »

Well my new or even 2nd new Smart Hub from BT is still exhibiting the sames problems as my first one... though this time I'm stuck on the first release firmware and after around a week of it being connected its still stuck on the old firmware.

BT keep asking me to send one of the hubs back but I'm not sure which one yet... if not both  ::)

BT seem to be getting a bit arsy with my complaints about their poor customer service and their absolutely useless billing and ordering departments... they are now talking about Deadlock letters which in my experience is normally go waste a bit more time with an ADR who we pay and will tell you to f off too.

Only time an ADR worked in my favor was when Ofcom was also involved, so I kinda think they had no say in the matter really.

It's a shame, BT's broadband is pretty good, actually the best I've ever had, however their customer support is terrible, their way of handling things like order's and upgrades is also appalling and for that reason I think I will be avoiding in the future.

Probably not going to matter soon anyhow, I'm moving back to Birmingham and will be limited to Virgin's M25 Inspired Cable or 2-4mb ADSL.... No FTTC and No Plans for it either (depsite every other exchange in Birmingham already having it... But there's more to that story  :cool:)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2016, 05:12:04 PM »

Made some progress with BT today.

They have accepted that the SmartHub is not fit for purpose, has performance issues so have allowed me to return it.

They have now admitted that I am being charged £4 per month for the SmartHub so they have cancelled the current contract and reinstated the old one. This aspect aspect may be worth a word of caution to others who may be in a similar situation. As an existing customer I responded to a BT offer in May to recontract my broadband for 18 months. If I did this, I would avoid the upcoming July broadband price increase. They credit this by billing the new (post July price increase) rental at the full monthly rate, amd then allowing a £4 a month discount. 

About 2 weeks later I received a second "personalised" offer of a SmartHub (I had pre-registered interest) at apparantly no charge according to the wording of the offer.  I was required to re-contract again which I did. However I have just received my monthly bill and noticed that the £4 discount line had disappeared and all that can be seen is the normal full monthly (post July price increase) for Inifinity 2. This was why their Customer Service fault team  said that I was not being charged for the SmartHub - they cannot see that the discount has disappeared on their systems! However the billing people can see that the discount has disappeared and that effectively I would be charged £72 for the Hub over the length of the contract. Sneaky!

I still have a fault running with them. All the swapping in and out of the SmartHub and their fiddling about at the exchange (on what was a previously a stable connection) has resulted in me getting 94% of my previous download speed with the HG612/Hub4 set up, but the upload speed has now dropped significantly below BT's estimate and stubbornly refuses to improve. Heavens knows what they have done.

Today is the fifth day that they have not fixed my speed, and I'm apparantly due an update call today. We shall see.

In view of the my experience I would counsel people to hold off using the SmartHub. I inferred from what was said at one point that another firnmware update might soon be in the offing.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 05:15:06 PM by bbnovice »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »

I've just made arrangements to return it, its died 3 times in the past 12 hours...

My only problem now is trying to get HH5 to play ball... unfortunately I've not had much look with the Broadcom based Type B's so I'm gonna try out the Type A for a week... probably means a wee sacrifice in upload speed if I remember correctly.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

Well just prepped the 'Smart' Hub for its return...

Kemp

• Just arrived
« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »

I'm about to receive one of these Smart Hubs, as a good will gesture after BT accidentally cut off my infinity. The whole thing was made worse by the local fibre cabinet being at maximum capacity so my spot was immediately given to the next person on the waiting list. Nearly three months later additional capacity has been added by Openreach and I'm finally back on. The only good thing to come out of this is that I've got 12 months of Infinity 2 for the price of line rental only and one of these new routers.

But, back on subject, in the 5-6 weeks since this thread was last posted in, has there been any improvements in the issues listed? I presume there have been additional firmware updates since.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »

I'm still on the same firmware SG4B100021EC there is apparently a new one ending in F4 but not sure what it improves, if anything at all.

Kemp

• Just arrived
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »

Do you still have problems then? And would you say it's not worth the upgrade from a HH5? I've still got the HH5 anyway so can always go back to it, and it's not as if this Smart Hub has cost me money. But our bedroom is quite a distance from the front room and the wifi signal on my smart TV up there from the HH5 isn't great, I'm struggling to stream 1080p video at times. I was hoping for an improvement with BT's claims of signal distance.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:06 PM »

The Wi-Fi is better for both range and speed, even though theirs currently a problem with the 2G always dropping the 5G seems stable. But for me and many others sync speed has dropped for some reason, even though its only by 2-4Mbs, i'm starting to get some new issues now, my speed went from 64/19 to 59/15 over time using the HH6 and im not sure why, it hasn't rebooted a lot from what i can see. So yes theres still problems.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »

Finally opened mine up to have a nosey inside:

Unfortunately the new Smart Hub syncs 3Mbps slower than the Home Hub 5A does, so I going to use the 5A for now:

BT Hub 5A
Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 10/07/15
Data rate:   20000 / 65194
Maximum data rate:   23388 / 64959
Noise margin:   6.6 / 6.5
Line attenuation:   17.9 / 16.5
Signal attenuation:   17.7 / 16.5

BT Hub 6A
Firmware version: SG4B100021EC
Firmware updated: 12/05/16
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.28.3
Data rate: 20.00 kbps / 61.77 kbps
Maximum data rate: 20000 / 61772
Noise margin: 6.6 / 5.9
Line attenuation: 16.6
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:40:45 PM by underzone »

Kemp

• Just arrived
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2016, 03:37:28 PM »

I get 79mb/19mb with the HH5, so if that goes down to around 75mb/16mb on the Smart Hub I'm not concerned, the difference there is the square root of zero in real world terms.

I am concerned about the 2G dropping issue though, as my 6 year old laptop isn't even n, never mind ac, so turning off 2G isn't an option. Hopefully that is an issue that's either already rectified on the firmware my Smart Hub comes with, or will be soon.

pettaw

« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »

Firmware version:

SG4B10002244
Firmware updated:

05-Jul-2017
Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 23 Hours 1 Minutes 0 Seconds
Data rate:

18.59 kbps / 80.00 kbps
Maximum data rate:

18586 / 80873
Noise margin:

5.7 / 3.4
Line attenuation:

Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI:

0/38
Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type:

Fast Path

Connection speed is about 5Mbps faster than my Netgear D7000.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »

Recently changed from Hub One with Plusnet to the Smart Hub, which updated to the latest firmware last night, has been factory reset.

BT rarely give out release notes but they did share some.

Here's a list of firmware revisions below:

SG4B100021D0 (Initial F/W)
 No Info

SG4B100021EC
 No Info

SG4B100021F4
 Access Controls not working correctly
 VPN Not Working
 Bug Fixes

SG4B10002236
 No Info

SG4B1000223E
 No Info

SG4B10002244
 DHCP and WiFi association issues
 Orange Wi-Fi Tab

SG4B1000B316 (Latest F/W)
 Hub performance upgrades
 GUI improvements - minor changes to layout
 Features enhancements for Multicast and uPNP
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:48:30 PM by Geekofbroadband »

rfc3203

• Just arrived
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2017, 07:49:37 PM »

Based on the attachment looks like the Hub 6B will be coming soon. The MAC address (E4:3E:D7:E4:73:3F) is Arcadyan Corporation and the firmware version numbering looks to be the same format as the Arcadyan produced Hub 5B. Image seen here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Upgraded-infinity-2-No-change/m-p/1743828
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

anything