Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: New "BT Smart Hub"  (Read 69929 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: New "BT Smart Hub"
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 01:12:54 AM »

... the specification clearly suggests a powerful device, which features 7 antennas, a modern chipset (Broadcom 63137, 4366, 43602) and built-in filters that automatically block interference....

Specification for the BT Smart Hub
* Integrated ADSL2+ and VDSL2
* No. of antennae: 7
* Dual wi-fi bands with “next generation” 802.11ac spec
* 2.GHz wi-fi band (3×3 11b/g/n/ac) = up to 217Mbps
* 5GHz wi-fi band (4×4 11a/n/ac) = up to 1700Mbps
* Built-in Advanced Filters
* Connections: 4 x Gigabit Ethernet
* USB: 1 x v2.0 Port
* On/off light control: Yes (i.e. you can switch off or dim the hub lights)
* Removable password card: Yes
* Smart Wireless: Yes
* BT Smart Scan: Yes
* Built-in 4G filters: Yes
* Power Usage (11W fully loaded and 7W idle)
NOTE: Regarding the 4G filters, these protect the 2.4GHz wi-fi receiver against neighbouring signals above and below the wi-fi band which can desensitise or “deafen” a standard wi-fi chip. This is more of a protection against future deployments as these bands are not heavily occupied, yet.

from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/uk-isp-bt-launches-new-smart-hub-wireless-broadband-router.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:16:16 AM by gt94sss2 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 02:02:50 AM »

Some more media coverage:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137993-bt-smart-hub-bt-s-new-hub-is-faster-smarter-and-ready-for-the-future
http://www.trustedreviews.com/bt-smart-hub-review
http://www.seenit.co.uk/hands-on-the-new-bt-smart-hub/
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/680923/bt-home-broadband-speed-boost-infinity-smart-hub-launch
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/06/new-bt-smart-hub-boosts-wi-fi-range-and-you-can-get-it-for-free

Initial impressions seem very positive with some big improvements quoted in WiFi speeds/coverage

The articles suggest that its free to recontracting BT Infinity users (and you can recontract again even if you have just done so) and "for those who prefer not to re-contract, with BT [are]offering them the chance to buy the Smart Hub for £50, ahead of an eventual retail price of around £130."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:26:44 AM by gt94sss2 »

WesBez7

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:35 AM »

Please stop labelling it as "advanced settings"
Great to see more antennae but my god no focus on any features from people reporting on it.

Please can someone post UI screenshots. Thanks.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »

Guest Network.... SNM  :cool:

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 11:46:56 PM »

I managed ot buy one for £50 without re-contracting from BT site  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »

I managed ot buy one for £50 without re-contracting from BT site  :)

Did my sensitive hearing detect someone taking comprehensive screen-scrapes of every accessible GUI page and then physically opening up the device to photograph the PCB (both sides) in high resolution?  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:18 AM »

:D It will be here by Thursday. I'll take screen shots of the UI and if I can find an easy way of opening it without breaking anything I will :) Iv'e never opened a modem/router before so it should be interesting. Apart from that time I mashed up the openreach modem, if that counts  :P
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:33:39 AM by Geekofbroadband »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »

The good news is that we know the chipsets being used - Broadcom 63137, 4366 and 43602 ( fromthe ISP Review story) - for its various functions.

I suspect like any new device it will need a few firmware versions before you see what it's fully capable of.

Edit: the user guides are at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-and-bt-infinity-hardware but not very informative - I guess they are designed for BT's typical plug and forget users..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:42:06 AM by gt94sss2 »

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »

Peak at the Hub UI from the guide

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »

I wonder if BT will start to enable G.INP again for ECI cabinet users. Because in the BT Smart Hub manual it mentioned something about your old hub will no longer work when the new smart hub is activated, so maybe BT can see you have a smart hub and enable it on your line if it needs it? Because people who have BT TV still have G.INP don't they?

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

I wonder if BT will start to enable G.INP again for ECI cabinet users. Because in the BT Smart Hub manual it mentioned something about your old hub will no longer work when the new smart hub is activated, so maybe BT can see you have a smart hub and enable it on your line if it needs it? Because people who have BT TV still have G.INP don't they?
I don't see that in the supplied guide. They are keen on recycling your old device though....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 07:44:59 PM »

Sorry not the guide I think it was actually when I was ordering it. It gave an option do I want to keep my current hub. i remember seeing it somewhere  :)

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »

The good news is that we know the chipsets being used - Broadcom 63137, 4366 and 43602 ( fromthe ISP Review story) - for its various functions.

43602 appears to be some kind of 5G WiFi Streaming chip. Aren't the other two the same chips that are in the HH5B?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:26 AM »

Old Hub supports DS G.INP.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2016, 12:37:37 PM »

So the Hub came today, setup was quick, I disabled smart setup and split the 2G and 5G everything else is left on default, all my devices connected and all are getting lower pings and slightly higher speeds with full bars around the house. The stats page also tells you if you're on the fast path or not, some images below;
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

anything