Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aluminium Telephone Cables - Expected Lifetime?  (Read 8573 times)

Dave2150

• Reg Member
Aluminium Telephone Cables - Expected Lifetime?
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:07:32 PM »

Hi there.

My phone line/VDSL2 line is mostly all aluminium. Over the years several engineers have repeatedly mentioned this to me. I've also seen BT conduct repair work on the road leading to my FTTC cabinet - the telephone cables are simply buried under the pavements, not inside any ducts. I know my line is inside this aluminium cable bundle, as I lost my telephone line/broadband for two days when this small section of cabling was being repaired.

I was wondering if anyone knew the specifics about how long this aluminium cable is likely to last, when buried in the ground with no ducting. Do openreach have records of the location, age and lengths of aluminium in their network? Are they actively being replaced on a planned timetable?

I also wonder how some people on this forum have been somehow able to access BT's records to show their exact line length and type of cable (aluminum/copper) installed? I'd very much be interested in leaning my exact cable route, length and whether the whole run is aluminium or not.

Any help/information would be appreciated :)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Aluminium Telephone Cables - Expected Lifetime?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:15:05 PM »

The only way I found out the length of my line was when the engineer was carrying out his tests his terminal provided the length of the line as part of the results.

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »

The only way I found out the length of my line was when the engineer was carrying out his tests his terminal provided the length of the line as part of the results.

Ah I see. My 'boost' engineer that attended two weeks ago wasn't even able to obtain sync on my line, most likely due to it being an ECI DSLAM with G.INP activated.

Terranova667

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:03:08 PM »

The last time i had a fault which was back in August i had a boost Engineer who told me that my line was Aluminium in fact he said the entire area was Ali, not only that but it wasn't in good condition either not surprising since it's around 50+ years old, He said if it were up to him he would rip the whole lot out because it's not great for a ADSL line never mind a Fibre one. 

I asked if they would replace with copper he just laughed at that and said no chance only way would be if I paid for it and that would run in to several thousands. 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »

How can an Engineer know if a line is copper or aluminium as there could be 5 to 10 joints with different metallic compositions from PCP cabinet to end-users DP pole, the only way I know would be to inspect the cable at each join.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »

How can an Engineer know if a line is copper or aluminium as there could be 5 to 10 joints with different metallic compositions from PCP cabinet to end-users DP pole, the only way I know would be to inspect the cable at each join.

Or look at the cable records.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »

Or look at the cable records.

Could you post one of those cable records

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »

Nope, because I don't work for Openreach and haven't got access to them.

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »

Nope, because I don't work for Openreach and haven't got access to them.

Really wish it was possible to obtain this information freely! I'd love to know my line route, length and whether it really is all aluminium, or just parts of it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »

I know my line length because a helpful engineer on here looked up the route it takes, but as he's not from my area he wasn't able to access the cable make up records, only the routing. So whilst I know my line is around 450 - 500 meters I don't know what cable it consists of, or how many joints there are.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:19:23 PM »

I know my line length because a helpful engineer on here looked up the route it takes, but as he's not from my area he wasn't able to access the cable make up records, only the routing. So whilst I know my line is around 450 - 500 meters I don't know what cable it consists of, or how many joints there are.

Hi Ronski, that's exactly the kind of information I'd love to get my hands on. Do you happen to know if the same engineer is still providing this service?  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »

It's quite possible, but I'm not going to mention who though, as not sure he likes it to be advertised.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »

So whilst I know my line is around 450 - 500 meters I don't know what cable it consists of, or how many joints there are.

That is why I prefer a JDSU local loop length estimate as it will adjust for different metallic pathways so your route could be 450 - 500 meters then add in some extra resistance for aluminum and the local loop may be like 600 - 750 meters

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »

It's distance the line takes is 450 meters to the footway box across the road,  so allowing for it to cross the road and into the house, and also some slack is between 450 - 500 meters.

But as you say due to its make up its electrical distance could well be more compared to a single length  of 0.5mm copper  :(

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »

I've been reading the news about BT most likely deploying G.Fast from the FTTC cabinets,  to save money having to install fibre closer to the DP etc. If this happens my line will obviously not be compatible, since G.fast uses way higher frequencies and my aluminium line won't load any bits for tones above 8,366Khz.

Surely there must be a significant number of people in the same boat as me though - hopefully BT will have to install fibre closer for some areas. Hoping I won't have to move house in the future, as I rather like it here  ;)
Pages: [1] 2

anything