Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom rules, TalkTalk mobile, and partially functioning service ...  (Read 5508 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member

I have a TalkTalk mobile 12 month contract(only £5/month), unfortunately SMS doesn't work. Their mobile dept couldn't fix it, I'm now dealing with the CEO team(for a few weeks) and they've been unable to fix it. The SMS issue has been going about 3 months now with no solution in sight - can I ask to terminate my contract and port the number elsewhere penalty free because they aren't providing the service I'm paying for? Any links to suitable guidance/reading material - I'll probably formally ask the CEO team about this option this week.  :-X

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member

Slightly off topic... and I'm sure that someone may have mentioned/tried the following...

Was the number currently being used on the talk talk contract previously used on an iPhone??

Apples imessage system screws up traditional sms even after porting to new provider and returning to non apple proprietary sms, you need to deregister imessage

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Ian

phi2008

• Reg Member

No, I'd rather avoid discussing troubleshooting - I'm interested in my contractual position and Ofcom's rules.

Dray

• Kitizen

If that actually fixes it, then you haven't got a leg to stand on.

phi2008

• Reg Member

If you actually read my reply properly, I provided a comma, you would realise I answered his point and your reply perhaps underlines why I don't want to waste time discussing technical issues that I have been addressing with TalkTalk for months now - nice troll. :P

Dray

• Kitizen

Assuming it does, then you've provided a broken device to install their service on and they won't guarantee it works on a broken device.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Getting out of contracts can be tricky.  I had a problem with vodafone just before xmas which was a bit of a nightmare to sort, so I started going down the route of contacting the ombudsman. 

Before you can contact the ombudsman you have to get a letter of deadlock, so I had to send a registered letter of complaint to their head office.. but in the end it actually got sorted before I had to go that far.  It took about 2.5 months though before they came up with something acceptable.

This is the procedure I followed for vodafone - presumably there will be something similar on your own providers website.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

PS.   I dont know if this is true or not, but I was told that if the ombudsman is contacted then the service provider has to pay a fee.
I think this is may be why they are more likely to try to resolve if they know you are going for deadlock.   
So I suppose it depends how much the fee is compared to how much the cost is to them if you're getting out.

In my case they put me on a contract I'd never agreed to... and I was wanting to hold them to what we had verbally agreed on the phone.  I was wanting them to stick to what they'd agreed so had requested on several occasions for them to listen to the call recording but kept getting fobbed off. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

phi2008

• Reg Member

Thanks for that ... there is indeed a similar page for TalkTalk.

I suppose the position I will take is do they really want to spend any more staff time on this problem after a number of months, for a customer paying £5/month? Or would it simply be more productive for both parties to part ways? At this stage I'm dealing with the CEO's office and not normal customer service so perhaps they may have more leeway. It seems as this issue is over 8 weeks old I can contact the ombudsman directly and would not need a deadlock letter.