Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TP-Link Archer VR2600 (My Findings)  (Read 12221 times)

olwalh

TP-Link Archer VR2600 (My Findings)
« on: April 25, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »

I picked up an TP-Link Archer VR2600 over the weekend and I thought that I would take a few minutes to share my findings. Firstly the device is physically a lot bigger than I expected especially when compared to the Billion 8800NL that have been using for the last eighteen months or so.

The UI is very intuitive and I was easily able to replicate my Billion configuration on the VR2600, in just a few minutes, this included configuring DDNS (however I was unable to locate the setting to configure the DDNS refresh rate) to and opening several ports.

The telnet interface is available on the VR2600 however with a very limited command set, so logging the stats could be more difficult (the number of stats available is also very limited).

The sync speed however was a let down which was significantly lower (6 Mbps) than those achieved my older Billion 8800NL, it is for the his reason that I am considering returning the unit.

I have reconnected the Billion however the sync rate is still ~3 Mbps down on where it was before I connected the VR2600 despite waiting over thirty minutes between reconnection's.

Should I expect the sync rate to return (6.4db DS SNRM vs 6db DS SNRM before testing the VR2600).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: TP-Link Archer VR2600 (My Findings)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:27 PM »

I would eventually expect you to see a similar synchronisation speed, now have re-instated the Billion 8800NL.

One thing to consider is the time of day when you reconnected the modem/router . . . if it was not at the "optimum time", that could go some way to explaining a lowering of the synchronisation speed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

olwalh

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:23:05 AM »

I would eventually expect you to see a similar synchronisation speed, now have re-instated the Billion 8800NL.

One thing to consider is the time of day when you reconnected the modem/router . . . if it was not at the "optimum time", that could go some way to explaining a lowering of the synchronisation speed.

Thanks burakkucat, possibly I was a little harsh on the VR2600, I was originally planning to purchase the AC2600 (router only model) but decided to get the VR2600 in case my Billion should ever developed a problem, also the VR2600 support profile 30a and vectoring (should BT ever deploy those features). It is the parental controls that attracted me towards the TP-LINK routers.

Possibly I should give the TP-LINK another go before I send it back, What is typically regarded as the "optimum time" to swap or power cycle a modem.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »

If you are monitoring the 8800nl I would keep an eye on your snrm and go for when the ds looks at the highest . I did this recently swapping modems. Used to change them at night but now see early morning seems best for my line as gives me the best figures.1mb gained on ds sync recently doing it this way.

olwalh

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »

My DS SNRM margin is currently 6.4 it previously set between 5.9 and 6.4 would this account for the lower sync rate, the limited stats on the VR2600 also reported a DS SNRM of 6.4, could DLM have assigned a higher target SNRM ? Would this go some way to explaining the lower sync rate especially on the VR2600.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »

These small differences in the SNRM are just the result of changes in interference levels and nothing to do with DLM. Because interference levels change, the connection speed can vary, depending on conditions at the time of the resync.
  Eric

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »

Does this router support DFS 5Ghz channels?

As it stands I'm never buying anything TP-Link again, their devices advertising seems to always have catches that you don't find out about until you have brought it and they seem to restrict items capabilities for some features (such as DFS).... to top that off they have very rude customer service staff that choose what questions they want to answer...

Arksun

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »

I just bought one of these myself, had been using an ancient Netgear modem router for past 14 years, still going strong, but needed something new to make the switch from ADSL to VDSL.

I still haven't switched to VDSL yet, so using the new VR2600 with my existing ADSL connection. First thing I noticed is download speed increase from around 4mbps to 6mbps, probably due to the fact my previous modem was so old and I never upgraded its firmware so it wasn't taking advantage of latest standards.

New one seems to handle simultaneous multiple wireless devices much better, though the range is noticeable better using 2.4ghz than it is using 5ghz. Coverage is pretty good considering the modems currently situated in corner of the house by master socket behind a thick wall.

One thing I did notice is some packet errors (2 upstream 28 downstream over 24 hour period), should there never be any packet errors? or if so, whats considered an acceptable amount of errors per day?  Connection seems pretty stable regardless.   Should note that the modem is currently plugged into normal master socket hole via filter, which is not the true master socket, of course I'll get the proper VDSL faceplate with dedicated rj11 socket when switching to VDSL.

Just gotta wait now and see what its VDSL performance will be like when I hopefully get it next week, will update when that happens.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 03:55:59 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum. Thank you for making that post to describe your current situation and the soon to be made change in type of service that you receive.

There is just one point in your post that does not seem too clear and I am having a little difficulty in understanding exactly what you mean --

Should note that the modem is currently plugged into normal master socket hole via filter, which is not the true master socket . . .

Either it is the master socket or it is not the master socket.  ???

Hopefully your service update will occur without any problems and then you will then report back with the latest information.

Arksun

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »

Either it is the master socket or it is not the master socket.  ???

Sorry should have explained better, what I mean by that is it IS the master socket box, but you know how there's the bit with the telephone socket that you can unscrew and then underneath reveals the true master socket which isn't at all affected by any internal wiring of the house, well I'm plugged into the outer socket without unscrewing that bit.  Hope that makes sense :)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »

Sorry should have explained better, what I mean by that is it IS the master socket box, but you know how there's the bit with the telephone socket that you can unscrew and then underneath reveals the true master socket which isn't at all affected by any internal wiring of the house, well I'm plugged into the outer socket without unscrewing that bit.  Hope that makes sense :)

it IS the master socket, the inner socket you refer to is the test socket. You are not expected to use that on a daily basis. Your modem is plugged into the master socket as it is.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »

Sorry should have explained better,
<snip>
Hope that makes sense :)

Absolutely perfectly. Thank you.  :)

Arksun

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 01:38:12 PM »

Upgraded the firmware from build 160330 to 160518 and SNR margins seem to have improved slightly with far less packet errors, so I'd defo recommend upgrading the firmware if you haven't already VR2600 users.

Still on adsl though, for some reason SurfAnytime (Firefly) dont seem to want to respond to their emails anymore, you'd think they'd welcome more money with a Fibre upgrade request!

I could call them instead but, the lack of email checking is slightly concerning, thinking of jumping ship to Cloudscape Connect for the VDSL connection....

*edit*  Fitted Openreach MK3 faceplate to master socket yesterday, wow, line attenuation improved by 1.5db and after 2 days running and streaming HD videos, I still have 0 packet errors.  Should be getting the vdsl on the 12th July.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:23:38 PM by Arksun »

Arksun

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »

Ok, just got VDSL installed today, I realise that this is still the initial test stage, but so far the results seem good.

Upstream    Downstream
Current Rate(kbps)   19999    79987
Max Rate(kbps)        36029   126406
SNR Margin(dB)         23.3    19.4
Line Attenuation(dB)    0    10.4

From my bedroom I can only get up to about 41Mbps download and 18Mbps up.  Testing wireless closer to the VR2600 downstairs only going through the 1 wall my download goes up to 74.89Mbps.    Ping time is around 16-17ms

Hopefully this won't change much after the initial testing period as it seems pretty stable to me, so would certainly recommend this modem based on my experience so far.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »

Very nice :yay: the full 80/20 service with loads of spare SNRM on both downstream & upstream it's funny you mention you only get 41/18 on the wireless in the bedroom that is more than I get on my long line wired 38/6   :blush:
Pages: [1] 2