Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How to utilise 2 vdsl lines?  (Read 14864 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
How to utilise 2 vdsl lines?
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »

Hi.

I am looking at getting another vdsl service to run alongside my current link but a little unsure how you can link them up?

I currently use a seperate modem and router so I guess I would need another modem but wouldnt I need something  hardware wise to present the wan connection at the router from the 2 lines??

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: How to utilise 2 vdsl lines?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:11:56 AM »

You need to decide if you want to perform load balancing or line bonding.

The former will just need the right equipment at your end, the latter will require co-operation by the ISP/CP as well as the right equipment at your end. Hence the latter will be more expensive . . .

As an example of line bonding, I will mention Weaver. He has three ADSL2 lines, each line has a modem operating in pure (basic) bridge mode. Each modem is then connected to a Watchfront FireBrick 2500 -- three WAN ports, one LAN port.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:59:29 AM »

To add to what Burakkucat kindly said:

This means that for me a single TCP connection (single download) really does go three times faster. I don't need to have several things going on in order to benefit. Uploads similarly are triple speed.

To be able to do this I need a capable router and the services of a good ISP. I recommend Andrews & Arnold - aa.net.uk.

The router I use, a Firebrick FB2500 also needs the "fully loaded" software load option, the basic model won't do. The routers come with free support and lifetime software updates which include continuous enhancements and improvements, not just bug fixes. The Firebrick is a simply stunning device, a joy to use. You almost certainly need the faster FB2700 model. I would strongly recommend you not buy the FB2500 which is fine for me with my very slow (>3 Mbps) ADSL2 lines.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:04:02 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:17:05 AM »

Some users don't get multiple speed single downloads. It takes them the same amount of time to download something when the network is otherwise quiet, unless you are considering the situation where the network is being heavily loaded by multiple users or multiple downloads all going at the same time.

Their kit can have devices with two or more addresses assigned to them simultaneously, one per line, and a machine can get multiple simultaneous streams of stuff inbound to each one of the addresses. The Internet knows there are n lines and has to choose somehow which IP address (for which line) it's going to send stuff to.

In contrast, my router and the machines on my network don't have three IP addresses one per line. They just have addresses that are associated with the entire group of lines, and the internet knows nothing about the three lines. The load splitting over my three lines is handled by the ISP for inbound traffic, and by the router for outbound traffic.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:54:19 AM »

Thanks for all the information. Plenty to investigate..

what kit could considered for load balancing - assuming you still need 2 modems etc?

Many thanks.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

For load balancing I use a TP-Link TL-ER5120 and it works perfect for the 110/36 that I can achieve.

You can either do PPOE or just plug the router into it, I don't think it does MER so you'll probably have to just plug a router into it.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »

Yes thanks to sky for annoying mer..was going to pm you to ask if you wouldnt mind checking if it has the option to specify username and password referred to as "manual client  id" under special isp requirements on routers wan port.

I noticed your ping is 19, I was thinking with 2 lines you would get a better ping rate?

Sorry just one more question... did bt bring a new cable in or use a spare pair on your main bt cable.

Cheers

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »

Yes thanks to sky for annoying mer..was going to pm you to ask if you wouldnt mind checking if it has the option to specify username and password referred to as "manual client  id" under special isp requirements on routers wan port.

I noticed your ping is 19, I was thinking with 2 lines you would get a better ping rate?

Sorry just one more question... did bt bring a new cable in or use a spare pair on your main bt cable.

Cheers

Ping would be whichever one ends up doing the initial ping, as one of my lines is interleaved it picked up on the ping that line has.

This is more typical

Note you wont get better pings with 2 lines vs 1.

Other things to take into account is it would have no effect on stuff that only supports one 'thread' such as Netflix, however things that support multiple 'threads' can utilize all the available speed things such as Steam downloads and p2p.

When my 2nd line was installed they checked if I had a 2nd pair in my drop wire as I only had one they just installed a 2nd physical cable.

Only options for WAN are in the picture attached
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:19:33 PM by S.Stephenson »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »

Ah ok cheers for that. Shame. May have to wait till I get away from sky eventually....

Thanks for your input..

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »

Ah ok cheers for that. Shame. May have to wait till I get away from sky eventually....

Thanks for your input..
You can use Sky

You just have to plug the router into the balancer and select dynamic IP as the method.

In my case

Plusnet line goes directly from modem to balancer with ppoe

BT line goes from modem to HH5 to balancer using Dynamic IP

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 06:52:37 AM »

Oh ok. Interesting. So are your network devices sat behind the balancer using a switch or something...

I guess I would need assuming sky gave me a mirror install of my original service

Modem > router> (or all in one)
                                  Balancer >switch> lan devices,wireless ap
Modem>router>   (or all in one)

Would I need a wireless ap as well or my wireless devices would be in front of the balancer based on my current routers ability.

Cheers

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:08:41 AM »

I'm not sure it's possible to have 2 Sky connections in the same name. Anyway one of the advantages of having 2 connections is if you use different suppliers you can still connect even if one is down.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »

Yeah thats a good point, might get a better deal  on the on the second fibre service with all the deals about..
Just need to figure out my lan config now to see if  can make it all work..

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »

Just think of the TPLINK as your router, with the WAN connections on one side and the LAN on the other. You'll need another wireless access point (WAP) maybe an old router, to supply wifi on your LAN.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »

Just following up and one other question if no one minds...

If opting for the load balance method does if matter if you mix speeds.. my sky link is supposed to be 80/20 but may choose a lower speed on the second profile as I rarerly get above 60-68 sync even when I did have g.inp

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5