Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DSLstats v5.8 released  (Read 20152 times)

Dar2211

Re: DSLstats v5.8 released
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »

Thanks for sticking your hand up. :)

Regarding the error message, if that was the exact wording, then I've never seen it before and I can't think of an explanation. If it happens again, please try to relate it to something that was happening at the time, if you can.

Eric, sampling stopped at 13:21 today, almost exactly 24 hours after previous restart. The program was not responding message appeared when I maximised, it had been running minimised for previous 24 hours. Before yesterday's restart I configured the graphs to 24 hours. Maybe just a coincidence. I've configured graphs to 2hours & will note what happens.
As to yesterday's error message it closed as the main window opened but I'm pretty sure it said a divisor error. I'll pay more attention if it happens again.

Dar2211

Re: DSLstats v5.8 released ... Error message update ...
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »

Thanks for sticking your hand up. :)

Regarding the error message, if that was the exact wording, then I've never seen it before and I can't think of an explanation. If it happens again, please try to relate it to something that was happening at the time, if you can.

Eric, program froze at 17:05 two hours after restarting with graphs configured to two hours. Error message is <invalid floating point operation
Press Ok to ignore and risk data corruption
Press cancel to kill the program>
I pressed ok, quit the program, restarted program, configured graphs to 24 hours & started sampling.
Will see if program freezes tomorrow tea time unless you want me to do something else that is.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 06:46:04 PM »

I've got a WinXP installation in a virtual machine, so I'll try running that to see if I can reproduce the problem.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »

It's quite easy to overlook the power options as you can have three different profiles and then the change advanced power settings.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:59:55 PM by NewtronStar »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »

I've tried running it it for some time in a WinXP installation, but I'm afraid I'm unable to reproduce the problem.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »

Eric very minor issue, I've turned on saving the attenuation text log and each time it write a message to the event log, seems redundant to me. V5.8.1 btw.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »

I'll take a look at that, Stuart.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 02:51:51 AM »

Just had a strange problem, but turned out to be a simple solution...

I turned off the MDWS update on my Win7 PC (HG612 modem_stats), and waited 10 minutes. Result: MDWS reported my line to be down, and kept it tagged as "HG612 modem_stats").

Then I added the MDWS configuration to my RPi (which has been running locally for a while now), and turn on the uploading. Result: MDWS continued to report my line to be down. However, MDWS did immediately switch to reporting that I was now using the RPi version for the upload. It was clearly getting the reports, but doing nothing with them!

No change from restarting DSLstats either.

Then I realised DSLstats was logging (locally) with the wrong time. It turns out my RPi was configured to the UTC timezone. As soon as I changed it to "GB-Eire", the uploads went through as normal!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 07:03:09 AM »

Yes, the RPi doesn't set its timezone correctly, so you need to use the command

Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
to get it operating correctly. You'll probably need to repeat this command each time the clocks go back/forward.

I'm not sure why MDWS continued to report your line as down, but I expect Tony has an explanation.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »

I'm not sure why MDWS continued to report your line as down, but I expect Tony has an explanation.
Mike - did you not notice the 40 odd Duplicate Upload e-mails to you  :-\
As your clock was now an hour slow you had already uploaded that number of entries... Other than that, MDWS was operating as normal on your line. You had been uploading within 5 secs of the minute change which would explain the previous missing uploads.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:18:08 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

Mike - did you not notice the 40 odd Duplicate Upload e-mails to you  :-\

Nope, but I don't always pay enough attention to email. That machine is undergoing backup prior to a last-minute Win10 upgrade, so I can't check now either.

As your clock was now an hour slow you had already uploaded that number of entries... Other than that, MDWS was operating as normal on your line.

So I guess DSLstats and MDWS both use a "localtime" reporting standard, rather than (say) a reference to UTC. That would explain it...

You had been uploading within 5 secs of the minute change which would explain the previous missing uploads.

My Win7 PC had both DSLstats and HG612 modem_stats running, with them configured to not interfere with each other. I think that meant modem_stats ran at 5-seconds past the minute (and had the MDWS upload duty), while DSLstats ran at around 40 seconds past the minute.

I did find another anomoly, but I'll add that to the other thread....

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »

Just started using DSLStats (under Wine on an iMac) and being plagued by problems with teh telnet connection.

12 Jan 2017 08:03:45   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:04:58   No response to login user name.
12 Jan 2017 08:04:58   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:05:48   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:06:38   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:07:40   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:08:41   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:09:46   Unable to login to modem/router
12 Jan 2017 08:10:51   Recording paused
12 Jan 2017 08:10:54   Recording resumed

12 Jan 2017 08:12:07   Auto snapshots taken
12 Jan 2017 08:13:10   Unable to login to modem/router

The router I am using is a ZyXel VMG8924.

I can see a few references to these error messages, but not found  anything tht states whether there is a fix / work around for it.

Any thoughts?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »

Do you get that error every time, or occasionally?
If it's every time, the login credentials are probably wrong.
If it's intermittent, is that using the Zyxel in bridge mode or full modem/router?
I never get that error in bridge mode, but frequently got it when downloading at full rate while using the Zyxel as a modem/router.
DslStats only waits a short period before giving up, and the Zyxel just seems to lag a bit when being pushed hard.
The wine on mac may also be adding to this.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »

Do you get that error every time, or occasionally?
If it's every time, the login credentials are probably wrong.
If it's intermittent, is that using the Zyxel in bridge mode or full modem/router?
I never get that error in bridge mode, but frequently got it when downloading at full rate while using the Zyxel as a modem/router.
DslStats only waits a short period before giving up, and the Zyxel just seems to lag a bit when being pushed hard.
The wine on mac may also be adding to this.

It's pretty much every time, although it usually works for a while if I restart DSLStats.  (Just checked again to confirm - >10 mins run time so far)

The Telnet port setting, username and password are all correct.

The ZyXel is being used as a Modem/Router, although not under that load most of the time (although i do have a slight obsession with speed tests which I need help for!!).

I guess that wine might be adding to the issue as it will presumably add to the processing time.  Not much choice there as I'll probably get shot if I install it on my work laptop.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »

One issue with the Zyxel modem/routers is that with all recent firmware versions (anything later than 6b1) they only accept a single telnet access at any one time, and this can lead to issues with logging in. I don't know if this is relevant to your issue though. One thing you can do is to upgrade DSLstats to the latest pre-release version 5.8.6. This includes an increase in the telnet timeout value, which may help in your situation.
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything