Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DG834G v3 New Firmware - Feedback  (Read 46836 times)

emgee

Re: DG834G v3 New Firmware - Feedback
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »

Well, after several days of stability following the upgrade, I started to experience the huge drops again two nights ago and my IP profile suffered. I'm hoping that was a one-off though, as it's improved again, but not as stable as it was immediately after the update. Go figure.

It does seem that this chipset is particularly sensitive to interference. Here is a graph from earlier today. There are four extreme drops in the noise margin, and I have managed to isolate the cause... the kettle! I noticed the correlation, tested it and, sure enough, every time it boils, my SNR drops ??? Would something like a surge protecter help with this?

Anyway, I still feel there is room for improvement, so have just ordered a Thomson 585 v6 from ebay. I'm curious to see the difference.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 06:39:27 PM »

... and I have managed to isolate the cause... the kettle! I noticed the correlation, tested it and, sure enough, every time it boils, my SNR drops ??? Would something like a surge protecter help with this? ...

I would say yes it would. But also a new faceplate can help as well. I gained an extra 1mb on my line when i used a faceplate from adslnation. Worth a try also.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »

Thanks for the update emgee.
I will be interested to see see what you think of the Speedtouch - I still swear by mine!

For the sake of a few pounds I also recommend a faceplate filter (I use the AdslNation one) - if you've already removed the ring-wire and tidied up your wiring etc. you won't necessarily see an improvement but it ensures you've always got the best set up you can have.

Ammit

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

I hate to be a pessimist but i've just tried to install this firmware upgrade on a customers router but have been having big issues. 

I'ts just one file am I right a .img file......becuase when i load it into the netgear browser, it goes away does its thing then comes back with

"cannot install firmware, contact administrator". 

Help.  Feel stupid.   :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »

What router did you try to install it in?
  Eric

Ammit

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »

A DG834G version 3 Netgear router. 

I thought that was the one the firmware was for.  I wouldn't have tried to install in any other, although I do have my blonde moments.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:46 AM »

That's the right router then. Perhaps you got a corrupted download. It installed with no difficulty on my DG834Gv3.
  Eric

Ammit

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »

But how can I have a corrupted download from the netgear site!!??

Perhaps I just did it wrong.  I saved the zip file then extracted all then browsed from my netgear router, opened the file then clicked upload.  I didn't think it was that hard and I cannot understand why it's not working. 

Perhaps it's not a v3 at all.  The customer may have got it wrong. 

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »

Perhaps it's not a v3 at all.

Have a look underneath - it will tell you the version.

emgee

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 11:29:56 PM »

Thanks for the update emgee.
I will be interested to see see what you think of the Speedtouch - I still swear by mine!

For the sake of a few pounds I also recommend a faceplate filter (I use the AdslNation one) - if you've already removed the ring-wire and tidied up your wiring etc. you won't necessarily see an improvement but it ensures you've always got the best set up you can have.

Received the Speedtouch today and have some questions regarding firmware, which I will post in a new thread.
The netgear has been fairly stable the last few days but I still feel it's holding me back.  The earlier blip seemed to coincide with the cold snap. It seems my target SNR is 12db, but still manages to get down to zero at times during the evening. Also, interleaving is on. I was hoping the 585 would keep the noise margin more stable so that I could look into getting the target reduced and, so far, that seems to be the case.

I'm not sure the faceplate would be of use to me as I have just the master socket and no extensions. Could it still make a difference in this scenario?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 07:02:46 AM »

But how can I have a corrupted download from the netgear site!!??

You can get a corrupted download from anywhere. Data can be lost in the download, or the receiving computer may have a glitch. I know it's fairly unlikely, but it can happen.
  Eric

Ammit

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 11:49:46 AM »

It doesn't surprise me at all.   ::)

I couldnt' see the router so I couldn't make sure that the model was correct - what was read to me sounded like it was correct though.  Frustrating when you can't see for yourself.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »

I'm not sure the faceplate would be of use to me as I have just the master socket and no extensions. Could it still make a difference in this scenario?

Yes the faceplate can make a huge difference. I don't have any extention sockets and my line has been stable for 6days where before I was lucky to get 2-3days.

Do try the faceplate is my opinion. http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »

new firmware has made a huge difference for me. in fact, its a difference of a 3500 profile and 4000 and thats with my target snr increased to 9

smudge

• Wedding Services, Wedding Planner in Northumberland
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »

does this work on UK v3 DG834G ? just cos on the site it has seperate UK version...

Im on o2 ADSL2+ using o2 wireless box , I setup the Netgear and it synced a whole 1000k lower than the speedtouch, i wonder if this new firmware will be any better (if it works on UK - ADSL2+)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything