Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Location tracking saves the day  (Read 5350 times)

door_bell

Re: Location tracking saves the day
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »

I wasn't talking about an iPhone and our 'phone team's at work are EE themselves, on site.

The phone was IMEI blocked on the networks that share the data in the UK - this sharing doesn't seem to happen in the EU or beyond.

No idea what Apple does.....

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »

I wasn't talking about an iPhone and our 'phone team's at work are EE themselves, on site.

The phone was IMEI blocked on the networks that share the data in the UK - this sharing doesn't seem to happen in the EU or beyond.

No idea what Apple does.....

Ah, agreed IMEI blocking is pretty much a waste of time.  Even within UK networks, I don't think it was ever taken too seriously.

But I think the point was, stealing an iPhone is pretty much pointless nowadays, regardless whether same may apply to other phones. 

My own faith these days for features like this, lies solely in Apple devices, largely because I would not trust Google (or any 3rd party App vendor) to be behave well regarding the privacy issues exposed by location sharing, whereas I do trust Apple.   

If I had an Android phone, and if Google offered an equivalent feature to find my iPhone (do they?), I'd probably disable it. :(

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:51:50 AM »

Yes, you can find your Android using Google https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160491?hl=en

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »

Ah, agreed IMEI blocking is pretty much a waste of time.  Even within UK networks, I don't think it was ever taken too seriously.
you won't get round an IMEI block in the UK. It's a shared database used by all operators. Only the operator who added the block can remove it. Sure you can sell a phone abroad, but as for the usefulness of the blocking it does exactly what it's supposed to.

Android phones have Android device manager for Finding/Ringing/Erasing/Locking your handset.
Samsung (mainly higher spec) also have "Remote Controls" under security, allowing you to Locate/Lock/Erase/Ring via findmymobile.samsung.com

I have both the above enabled, and have no issues with privacy from Google/Samsung. I have Location History disabled on my google account. Anything Google related I'm signed into can see where I am right now, but not where I was 1 min ago.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

fluotech

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »

Find my Friends is for mutually consenting iOS device owners to track one another's locations.   You can set notifications, such as 'notify me when Fred leaves/arrives'.   I often have mine set to alert me when better half gets within a mile or so, so I can wind up the drunken party, or get the kettle on, whatever. ::)
Ah ok that makes sense... I suppose these days it would also be really appealing to parents too. I mean, it seems like even really quite young kids have iPhones now!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything