Computer Software > Windows 7

Can't get Windows 7 updates from Microsoft, but not sure why..

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chrysalis:
Windows update in the past 24 months or so definitely seems more finicky although my negative experiences have only ever been on windows 10 and 8.1 (especially 10).

In my case having a broken MTU broke updates on windows 8.1 (for a while last year on plusnet ipv6 trial I had broken ipv6 mtu and microsoft uses ipv6).

Possible causes are.

Network issues - bad dns response, mtu problems, packet loss etc.
Corrupt windows update files.  The disk cleanup tool can wipe the files for a fresh start.
AV interfereing although I think this is probably not it.

Here is some info regarding AV configuration and locations of possible corrupted files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822158

licquorice:
My wife's old laptop has just started to do the same thing, I think it's just another ploy to get users to upgrade to W10!!  :(

tonyappuk:
For many years I have prevented Microsoft from updating any of my PCs after experiencing an update catastrophe. I'm sure in a workplace environment it would be necessary to protect sensitive data but for a domestic PC adequately antivirused and with a bit of care browsing I would rather avoid the hassle. If it gets to a stage where I believe MS operating systems are not safe enough not updated I'll switch to Linux.
Tony

Ronski:
Well I stopped my laptop from going to sleep and left it checking for update first thing this morning, just checked and it's found a load of updates and its currently installing them.

@tonyappuk, no OS is safe un-patched once a security vulnerability is announced, you may by pure luck get away with it, but I'd rather not take chance. If your that worried image the drive before updating every so often.

Al1264:

--- Quote from: licquorice on April 17, 2016, 09:58:40 AM ---I think it's just another ploy to get users to upgrade to W10!!

--- End quote ---
Trouble is, it's rather difficult upgrading to W10 if W7 won't update (I suffered this on a couple on new installs of W7).
As others have mentioned though, swithc off any/all sleep/hibernation functions, reboot and leave to run helps for most.
Download http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool if a new install of windows 7 won't update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version