Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: 3dB Target SNRm Live?  (Read 76676 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 3dB Target SNRm Live?
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »

BTW, I'm on 3 dB downstream target SNRM (but on ADSL2), as you may recall.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »

From R3350 EIP2 (delivery 21 January 2017)

OR-32420   GEA-FTTC   XdB

Strategic development of DLM system to allow reduction in
target margin on new and existing GEA-FTTC lines

So the 3dB (or some value lower than the current 6dB) target SNRM for FTTC might be deployed towards the end of January 2017.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »

Does ”strategic" mean a limited deployment  or does it mean a full deployment and DLM will intervene if 3db is too low?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »

I think there's only one DLM system. I assume it would work in the same way as the ADSL2+ DLM, in that the target SNRM would start at the default of 6 dB, and thereafter the DLM might lower the target SNRM if it determines the line is operating sufficiently well (ILQ green).

I didn't think they were going to lower the target SNRM on every FTTC line, then have the DLM put it back up if necessary on some lines. I suppose it depends on how you read the "on new and existing GEA-FTTC lines" part.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:47:14 PM by ejs »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

BT SIN 498 7.2a was recently published, apparently it says publishing extracts is not allowed, otherwise I'd quote the paragraph in the recently added section 1.2.2 about downstream target SNRM.

It says that starting in March 2017, the DLM will select a downstream target SNRM of 3, 4, 5 or 6 dB, determined by how stable the line is.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »

Thanks ejs good spot.
 :thumbs:

>> I'd quote the paragraph in the recently added section 1.2.2 about downstream target SNRM.

BT dont usually mind you quoting short extracts from SINET as long as you quote the original source where you got the info from. 
What they do take umbrage at is copying huge walls of text and not accrediting where you got the info from.

Copyright law states excerpts are allowed in the following circumstances
1. The reason for using the material is genuinely for the purpose of quotation, criticism or review
2. The material you are using is already available to the public
3. Your use of the material is fair
4. Where practical, you have provided sufficient acknowledgement
5. Your quotation must be no more than is required to achieve your purpose

See also copyright legislation section 30 - Criticism, review and news reporting.

I think they'd have a hard time chasing someone using it to prove a point or explain something... or as in this particular case it would be covered by 'news'.  If they got really arsey they could ask you to remove the quote if it wasn't relevant.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:14:32 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »

BT SIN 498 7.2a was recently published, apparently it says publishing extracts is not allowed, otherwise I'd quote the paragraph in the recently added section 1.2.2 about downstream target SNRM.

It says that starting in March 2017, the DLM will select a downstream target SNRM of 3, 4, 5 or 6 dB, determined by how stable the line is.
Any information on if this will apply to both cabinet types?  Does ECI Ginp get a mention? :crossfingers: Thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »

IF the trials go well I was told april 2017 before we see g.inp on eci..

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »

Thanks ejs.   For some reason I missed your post about the EIP otherwise I may have picked up on this sooner. 
I think this is a newsworthy article that some people have been waiting for - link. :clap:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »

Don't know about this FTTC 3dB - 6dB Target SNRm it seems to late to recover what users have lost due to crosstalk as some have lost upto 20Mbps so even with a 3dB SNRm profile it won't gain back all that was lost but it's a bonus and the 4 month wait is good if its true  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »

I've been doing pretty well with 3dB downstream target SNRM on ADSL2, no errored seconds at all most of the time, as far as I recall, and can hold on to the connection for many days or even weeks. One interesting thing is that the dienstream SNRM often starts off well below 3dB, for some reason, or else drops well below it quickly and then hangs around at say 1.5 dB for a long while, but then end s up down around 0.3 - 0.8 dB.

The speed improvement isn't huge compared with a (supposed) 6dB target, a hundred Kbps or so on a ~2.6 Mbps downstream sync rate line. Part of the reason seems to be due to the fact that the 6 dB _target_ can easily end up as an actual SNRM which is a lot lower than that, so the gap we’re actually dealing with in the comparison is often something more like (~3dB - 1.5dB) not 6dB - 3dB

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2016, 11:36:12 AM »

if it does apply for ECI then I would imagine without g.inp the amount of lines getting a lower snrm will be very limited.  But hopefully ECI will be getting g.inp next march/april.

I hope if a line is lowered to 3db and then gets a red status in errors, the snrm would be bumped back up in preference to interleaving.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59:20 PM »

BT dont usually mind you quoting short extracts from SINET as long as you quote the original source where you got the info from.

I see that ISPr have quoted it in their news article. 
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »

Don't know about this FTTC 3dB - 6dB Target SNRm it seems to late to recover what users have lost due to crosstalk as some have lost upto 20Mbps so even with a 3dB SNRm profile it won't gain back all that was lost but it's a bonus and the 4 month wait is good if its true  :)

It wont ever mitigate anything lost from crosstalk.   But it helps.   
Ive now lost over 30Mbps from my headline speed.  The 20Mbps average was a figure I quoted about 18 months ago.. at that time my own headline loss was running at about 24Mbps.

In answer to the question about ECI cabs, the trial was both Huawei and ECI so I would think it would be rolled out on both.   
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »

>> ve now lost over 30Mbps from my headline speed.

Probably more... just looked at my stats, line is still playing up and spiking. (link).  If I did a resync now, my net loss would be 35Mbps.   
I noticed a BT OR engineer next door yesterday morning, since then Ive lost another 1dB. :/
-----
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21