Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: BT Infinity 1 increasing from 38 to 55mbps  (Read 36042 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: BT Infinity 1 increasing from 38 to 55mbps
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 12:27:27 AM »

EDIT: Ah I see. DOCSIS shouldn't be on that graph. The graph relates to the tiers people are subscribed to, not limitations of the technology.

I see the graph as simply describing the speeds that subscribers get - including ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL2 and DOCSIS - and *all* the limitations involved. Distance, money, or speed of rollout.

For DOCSIS, without distance limitations, it tells you the tiers that people have chosen - showing both the current tiers at the time (2014) and signs that some VM customers were left on old speed tiers. IIRC, the speed upgrades were an automatic thing, so it probably show "limitations" in VM's ability to roll out the upgrade quickly.

For ADSL and ADSL2+, where tiers don't exist, we see purely the distance limitation.

For VDSL2, we see a combination of the tiers and the distance limitation. I gimp'ed a version of the graph with a simplistic extrapolation of what might be available if there were no tier choices, but I suspect it is a little wrong - that the percentage getting (just under) 80Mbps should run a touch higher.

It'd be great to see the impact of BT's announcement on this graph in this year's report, but Ofcom have this annoying habit of only publishing the really interesting graphs once, with no future follow-up.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 12:34:46 AM »

Order it through the BT banner that comes up on the top of this website and its £10 per month for 25GB usage
and £12.50 for unlimited.

Kitz looks like new customers only will not accept order  :wall:

[admin - fixed quote tags]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:23:38 AM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 12:38:52 AM »

For VDSL2, we see a combination of the tiers and the distance limitation. I gimp'ed a version of the graph with a simplistic extrapolation of what might be available if there were no tier choices, but I suspect it is a little wrong - that the percentage getting (just under) 80Mbps should run a touch higher.

Thanks for attaching, so based on that projection, the mean average attainable sync speed is about 60Mbps.

It'd be great to see the impact of BT's announcement on this graph in this year's report, but Ofcom have this annoying habit of only publishing the really interesting graphs once, with no future follow-up.

I know, I went looking too, but nothing :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »

FYI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 12:47:24 AM »

FYI

blahhhhhhhh..  I hate 'New customer only' :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 12:48:37 AM »

Well it is now on the BT website for upgrade only £25 plus Line rental

Order it through the BT banner that comes up on the top of this website and its £10 per month for 25GB usage
and £12.50 for unlimited.

Direct link

Disclosure
I think the site also gets about a tenner if you use that link - but its so long since I got anything though that I dont know how much they pay these days.

This link doesn't work if you want to upgrade from your current package. The price is £25.00 + £17.99 for line rental. The link only works if you want to order it as a new customer or if your contract has ended.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 12:51:11 AM by N0STIE »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »

Ok..  Im going to try split this topic up as we have several different conversations going at the same time and it could get confusing.

NS's news is definitely exciting :)

So bear with me if things get a bit messy for a while whilst I move things around.

--------
ETA

Split thread as best I can

NewtronStars news about 3db is now here
Williams posts about his line and if its worth upgrading are here
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 01:34:30 AM by kitz »
-----

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 12:53:02 AM »

Oh well it was worth a try. Phone call to BT options team in the morning see what they can do on price..

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 01:29:07 AM »

However I also think the this could be tool to push providers like TalkTalk and Plusnet off the 40/2 services and onto the more expensive 55/10...

As we know, headlines always shout about the headline download speed, and when BT pops up on uSwitch boasting a £10 a month cost for 52mb versus a similar offer from TalkTalk or Plusnet, customers will automatically go for BT...

Yes, it will be interesting what Sky and Talktalk do in particular. Both were scathing of the prospect of the introduction of the 55/10 tier by Openreach  when they submitted their evidence recently to Ofcom..

Plusnet - who don't forget are owned by BT - will just alter their tariffs as needed to ensure that they remain competitive in the 'value' segment..

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 01:46:59 AM »

Well they've no reason they can't sell 38/1.9...52/9.5...76/19.5.... add an extra few quid on to the new tier... though I'm sure they will be looking to try keep the same profits, so maybe not as simple and Plusnet's gap between 38 & 76 is on £5 difference so will they really sell it??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 02:11:22 AM »

To 'new customers only' Plusnets £10pm for unlimited 80/20 still looks attractive (to those that dont read the small print!) compared to what BT are charging.

BT ISP pricing is a PITA -  I really hate this new customer only stuff.  >:(

I opened chrome to make sure I didnt pick up any cookies and went straight to their products page bypassing the new/existing customer question.
Its now come up with another set of prices... this time £20!

So far that makes it £25 for existing customers
£20 if you dont tell them if you're new or existing
£12.50 if you follow my link, but for new customers only. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:13:59 AM by kitz »
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »

My brother who was outside his contract period with BT recently signed up as a new customer and had a new line installed FOC to take advantage of a great offer, he then simply cancelled his existing connection.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »

Quite worried...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »

Looks like the same package :(

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »

Looks like the same package :(

I'm on the phone to BT, could be a website issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10