Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet  (Read 12686 times)

colinm

• Just arrived
Re: Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 03:48:31 PM »

Ok many thanks j0hn and gt94sss2.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »

I thought the Lantiq chipset devices got higher speeds than Broadcom when G.INP was on the ECI cabinets.

I'm 4,327m away from the cab.

This must be a mistake, I don't think FTTC can work at all at a distance of over 4km from the cabinet.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 08:20:56 PM »

I never had the pleasure of trying G.INP when connected to my PCP's ECI cabinet. Certainly on fastpath and interleaving the HG612 outperformed the 2 Lantiq devices I tried.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »

I have found matching lantiq to lantiq has a positive affect on error rates, however at a reduced sync speed, if the line is interleaved the sync speed reduction is huge, it appears to apply FEC overheads twice.

Since 99% of people seem to have sync speed as the priority I would consider broadcom the best choice for everyone regardless of ECI or hauwei cabinet. Especially with the known ECI modem g.inp issues.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 07:21:10 PM »

I've heard the Broadcom chipsets ensure very stable connection but lower slightly lower synchronization rate.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »

I've heard the Broadcom chipsets ensure very stable connection but lower slightly lower synchronization rate.
I'd say that's the opposite for most members on this forum. The Broadcom chipsets sync higher than any other on VDSL2 profile 17a for the majority. The best of which is the BCM 63168.

We only have Broadcom/Lantiq(Infineon) DSLAMs though. That may not be the case in other countries with other DSLAM vendors.

This obviously doesn't apply to everyone, every line is different.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GaryW

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »

I have found matching lantiq to lantiq has a positive affect on error rates, however at a reduced sync speed, if the line is interleaved the sync speed reduction is huge, it appears to apply FEC overheads twice.

Since 99% of people seem to have sync speed as the priority I would consider broadcom the best choice for everyone regardless of ECI or hauwei cabinet. Especially with the known ECI modem g.inp issues.

That definitely matches my experience.  I'm on an ECI cabinet and my Billion 8900AX-2400 syncs reliably at 14999 DS (banded, interleaved) and 535 US.  I tried a DrayTek 2760 as an experiment and it only synced at 11399 DS, although it was better US at 626.  Since DS is most important to me it was a no-brainer to switch back to the Billion.
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF
Pages: 1 2 [3]