Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet  (Read 12698 times)

underzone

• Reg Member
Re: Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »

The TD-W9980 will probably sync about the same speed. The Archer VR200 has AC wifi which may suit you, and it also supports MER I read on here recently.
If you are on an ECI cab, a Lantiq based modem/router seems to be the way to go.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »

If you're thinking about the future, and if vectoring eventually arrives on ECI cabinets, the VR200 should support vectoring, but the TD-W9980 currently does not and probably won't (you could put OpenWRT on it, but then I think you'd lose the 5GHz wireless).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »

does the vr200 have bridge mode?

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 01:24:37 AM »

does the vr200 have bridge mode?

You can look around the UI here http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/Archer-VR200_V1_Emulator/index.htm

Iv'e just ordered one of these on Amazon, will be interesting to see how the lantiq chipset in this compares to the Bhub5 and ECI modem

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 10:05:18 AM »

Nice one Geekofbroadband! Mine has been great all week. In fact last night I saw an attainable rate to 74140 on my line which is unheard of.

Keep us updated how it goes on your line please.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »

will be interesting to see how the lantiq chipset in this compares to the Bhub5 and ECI modem

It may be that the chipset itself is much the same, but lots of other factors may affect the performance. Things like the board layout and quality of other (analog) components used, or how much interference the supplied power adapter outputs. And of course the DSL firmware of the HH5A and ECI modems may not be the most up to date, although this may not matter so much on an ECI cabinet.

dambuilder

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »

So going back to my original question and reading the posts in this thread I assume that YES it's normally advantageous to match the chip-set of the modem to the cabinet?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »

There's really only anecdotal evidence, so the real answer is "Maybe, maybe not".
  Eric

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

So going back to my original question and reading the posts in this thread I assume that YES it's normally advantageous to match the chip-set of the modem to the cabinet?

All lines work differently. On my line for example lantiq chipsets (Matching chipset ECI cab) are just overall better, I get lower pings, higher downloads and higher uploads. Broadcom chipsets are still stable on my line but just dont perform better, Iv'e tested with (Billion BiPAC 8800NL, Openreach HG612 modem, and BTHub5 type B) and they all under perform the BThub5 type A and ECI modem, Heres a couple of screenshots comparing the BTHub 5 type A vs the BTHub 5 type B

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »

Nice one Geekofbroadband! Mine has been great all week. In fact last night I saw an attainable rate to 74140 on my line which is unheard of.

Keep us updated how it goes on your line please.

So it came today, set up was easy connected straight away, I downloaded the latest firmware for it then factory reset from the UI.

The overall quality of it is good for the price, and the wireless I have found to be worse than the BTHub5 (I got 1 bar on my note 3 which has AC wifi from 2-3 feet away), the UI is nice though probably the best UI out of Netgear, Asus, Billion and the home hubs, its fast too. I cant see an uptime for the router or connection anywhere though which is annoying.

The DSL connection does appear to be better though, Im going to leave it plugged in for a while see it it improves because I have had routers being disconnected all the time recently on the line. Also its showing a very high error rate on the download but i think this is an error with the firmware as it hasn't changed and was the same number before i factory reset as well, does yours show this?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:09:07 PM by Geekofbroadband »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »

Hi, yes the errors appear to be from the showtime phase ie. when it syncs up. I saw this behaviour too. I manually set (within 'DSL Settings') to VDSL2 and Annex A/B. Now when it syncs up I get about 19500 packet errors immediately reported down and 0 up. Obviously once it is up & PPP is sorted the errors just increase very gradually as per normal.

I noticed there wasn't an uptime timer too. I now just copy the connection stats from the GUI into a txt document when it boots up. I have never seen a reboot have exactly the same sync speed, so if the connection speed changes you know you have had a reboot.

My line is now running at 74Mbps. This is as fast as it has ever gone by at least 6Mbps over the last year!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:12:16 PM by underzone »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »

I just tried manually setting the SRA tick box (in DSL settings) to disabled. Now the connection errors statistics don't appear when this router/modem syncs up:

Upstream   Downstream
Errors(pkts)   0   7

:)

colinm

• Just arrived
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »

Hi, I realise this is quite an old thread but would like to re-open for new suggestions on a decent modem/router for FTTC on an ECI cabinet. I'm 4,327m away from the cab.

I've used the Billion 8800 router and BT HH 5 but thinking perhaps it's time to invest in a Lantiq chipset as I do suffer from drops (although have to stability on BT is far far better than when I was with TalkTalk).

I'm struggling as I'm trying to find a router that supports vectoring and g.inp as well as have parental controls to control time online based on MAC address (the only feature I like about the BT HH5).

Saying that, I've no idea if my cabinet supports g.inp and vectoring and I'm not sure how to find out.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to buy and how I can find out if my cab supports the above, would be much appreciated.

Thanks

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 01:30:35 PM »

Saying that, I've no idea if my cabinet supports g.inp and vectoring and I'm not sure how to find out.

You should be able to check via CLI commands/in the firmware on the Billion 8800 whether your line uses g.inp (likely) and vectoring (unlikely).

I don't have the commands to hand though and you might just find it easier to use DSLstats to get the data which I believe works with the 8800.

DSLstats can also be used with mydslwebstats.co.uk  if you wanted to monitor your line on an ongoing basis/remotely

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »

Matching cabinet vendor chipset makes no difference to most.
Broadcom chipsets performed better on my ECI cabinet than any Lantiq chipset I tried.

Don't worry about vectoring. Your ECI cabinet will never get vectoring. Hopefully G.INP will be rolled out eventually though so worth getting a modem that supports it. Most should support G.INP at least on the downstream. ECI doesn't do it on the upstream anyway.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything