Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet  (Read 12701 times)

dambuilder

Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »

Well I've finally decided that I've had enough of the ASUS DSL-AC68U combined modem/router even after trying it with the new firmware and still getting the interleaved/fastpath/interleaved/fastpath merry-go-round.....

So after some research I think I'm split between Draytek, Netgear and Billion combined routers. Initially I was just looking at Billion as they have loads of fans (not the windy type lol) and great reviews as well as a Broadcom chipset whereas the Vigor which also has loads of fans etc has a Lantiq chipset and Netgear do both. Now the reason I'm split/unsure is that I'm on an ECI cab which has a Lantiq chipset.

So the questions are; Should I match the chipsets by going down the Lantiq route? What are the advantages? And if I don't match by going down the Broadcom route what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Any feedback most welcome

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Matching Modem Chipset to Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:27:07 AM »

I like you am on an eci cab. I like to have stats running so the only disadvantage of usin an eci modem is you will only get the stats direct from the modem.
I did find an eci modem gave the best sync rate when g.inp was running on my line.
You could always pick up an old bt or eci modem and flash it with openwrt and access the stats if your router would support a modem in front of it.

My 8800nl also synced lower than the eci with g.inp. without g.inp the billion had a higher sync rate
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:44:49 AM by skyeci »

dambuilder

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I already have an ECI BTO modem as well as an unlocked Huawei HG612. What I'm looking for is a combined modem/router that I can just leave plugged in and forget about ish....

dambuilder

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »

And just for info on how bad the ASUS DSL-AC68U is as a modem; I've only had the HG612 connected since last night and Fastpath has been restored already and it's reporting G.INP enabled (ECI cab) as well, whereas before the weekend when a reconnected the ASUS it wasn't.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I already have an ECI BTO modem as well as an unlocked Huawei HG612. What I'm looking for is a combined modem/router that I can just leave plugged in and forget about ish....

Personally I prefer seperates purely due to the fact if you make changes to an all in one and it wants to reboot it will resync and may affect your speed. If your hg612 is unlocked you coild monitor it with hg612 stats.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »

agree with skyeci for the same reasons, its undesirable to have router problems affecting the modem.

dambuilder

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »

Thanks and points taken re using separates which effectively is what I do now. But still is there any advantage/disadvantage (even with separates) of matching the chipset of the modem to the cabinet?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 03:38:55 PM »

Possibly but again the only advantage I saw was with g.inp enabled. I want to have stats uploaded to mydslwebstats so for now I will not be using the eci modem. As g.inp was disabled on my line for whatever reason be it OR or the modem I might as well stick with ability to have stats.

I would consider unlocking your eci modem Then you can compare your stars between the hg612 and the eci. You could even see an increase in DS rate with the ECI. Mine gained .

I  just unlocked a spare eci and it was failry easy following the forum guides.

dambuilder

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 03:52:47 PM »

Cheers skyeci.

I was tempted to unlock the ECI but thought there was no way of doing it without actually modifying the hardware in some way? If there's a software/firmware way then I'd give it a go...

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 03:55:51 PM »

I have recently bought a new TP-Link Archer VR200 from Maplin for £69.99. It has the lantiq VRX-268 chipset which matches brilliantly with an ECI cab. I used to get about 67Mbps with my previous Billion 8800NL (the stats remain on MDWS if you are interested). These are my current telnet stats from the TP-Link:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Welcome To Use TP-LINK COMMAND-LINE Interface Model.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show info

INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
linkEncapsulationRequested=
linkEncapsulationUsed=G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
modulationType=VDSL2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=
currentProfile=
dataPath=
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=20000
downstreamCurrRate=70545
upstreamMaxRate=24014
downstreamMaxRate=70320
upstreamNoiseMargin=67
downstreamNoiseMargin=58
upstreamAttenuation=176
downstreamAttenuation=169
upstreamPower=135
downstreamPower=46
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=4502
showtimeStart=451
quarterHourStart=0
X_TP_Bitswap=On
X_TP_SRA=On
X_TP_AdslModulationCfg=VDSL2
X_TP_AnnexType=Annex A/B
X_TP_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A/B;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L/M;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;ADSL Auto Sync-up:A/L/M;Auto Sync-up:A/B/
L/M
}
cmd:SUCC
TP-LINK(conf)#

My hope is that once BT roll out the rumored 3dB profile I may max out the line!
PS. I briefly had a DrayTek a few weeks ago. It was awful, it locked up every night and needed to be rebooted in the morning.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:04:52 PM by underzone »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 04:13:41 PM »

Cheers skyeci.

I was tempted to unlock the ECI but thought there was no way of doing it without actually modifying the hardware in some way? If there's a software/firmware way then I'd give it a go...

You only need to drill 3 x 1mm holes on the board, I didnt bother soldering mine and just left the header pins whilst flashing it. Once it was completed I just took them out. Thats the only hardware mod I had to do. The rest was software based only. The flashing process took about 10 minutes. I would love to use it more but I like my stats online which the eci is unable to do at the moment plus with losing g.inp it's not worth using at the mo.The openwrt version does give you good stats info though
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:17:06 PM by skyeci »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231887970610 
Good seller and it works as I had one done in case I messed the one up I was learning on  ???

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »

I've also sent off an ECI modem today to get the update, seems like a brilliant hassle free deal. I'm on an ECI cabinet, but have seen no sign of G.inp up until now. I do though live in hope.

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »

I've also sent off an ECI modem today to get the update, seems like a brilliant hassle free deal. I'm on an ECI cabinet, but have seen no sign of G.inp up until now. I do though live in hope.

toulouse

Had g.inp about 2 weeks then disabled and no sign of its return. Fastpath is now displaying the same latency which is great of about 12ms. About 7mb down on ds but resonably happy as latency is more important than speed for me

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »

I have recently bought a new TP-Link Archer VR200 from Maplin for £69.99. It has the lantiq VRX-268 chipset which matches brilliantly with an ECI cab. I used to get about 67Mbps with my previous Billion 8800NL (the stats remain on MDWS if you are interested). These are my current telnet stats from the TP-Link:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Welcome To Use TP-LINK COMMAND-LINE Interface Model.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------TP-LINK(conf)#adsl show info

INDEX=1
{
enable=1
status=Up
linkEncapsulationRequested=
linkEncapsulationUsed=G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
modulationType=VDSL2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=
currentProfile=
dataPath=
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=20000
downstreamCurrRate=70545
upstreamMaxRate=24014
downstreamMaxRate=70320
upstreamNoiseMargin=67
downstreamNoiseMargin=58
upstreamAttenuation=176
downstreamAttenuation=169
upstreamPower=135
downstreamPower=46
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=4502
showtimeStart=451
quarterHourStart=0
X_TP_Bitswap=On
X_TP_SRA=On
X_TP_AdslModulationCfg=VDSL2
X_TP_AnnexType=Annex A/B
X_TP_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A/B;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A;ADSL2:A,A/L/M;ADSL2+:A,M,A/L/M;ADSL Auto Sync-up:A/L/M;Auto Sync-up:A/B/
L/M
}
cmd:SUCC
TP-LINK(conf)#

My hope is that once BT roll out the rumored 3dB profile I may max out the line!
PS. I briefly had a DrayTek a few weeks ago. It was awful, it locked up every night and needed to be rebooted in the morning.

I was looking at the TD-W9980 until i saw your post about the Archer VR200 (I too am also on an ECI cabinet) so how does the Archer VR200 compare to the TD-W9980 on line speed? Iv'e been looking at all in one (lantiq chipset) so far theres the Netgear D7800 and FRITZ!Box which are both expensive then the two I mentioned above
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:33:04 PM by Geekofbroadband »
Pages: [1] 2 3