Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What's the deal with 5Ghz WiFi in the UK??  (Read 3144 times)

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
What's the deal with 5Ghz WiFi in the UK??
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »

Over the past 2 years I've been upgrading my home networks to latest generations of technology, and every step of the way I've had a never ending fight with various wireless access points & routers and their manufacturers regarding the restrictions they have put in place on the 5Ghz bands rendering the need for 5Ghz spectrum useless.

Right now I'm in an argument with TP-Link about they're support for UNII-2 & UNII-2 Extended spectrum and it being usable!

I'm a bit miffed that paying £100-£200 for a dual band router with the selling points of increased range due to powerful broadcasting and the use of 5Ghz spectrum to avoid the horribly congested 2.4Ghz channels.... however...

All you get is a big router that is restricted to using one set of channels which it turns out all your neighbors routers are using and that powerful range and output also restricted by such a thing too.

Once more manufacturers try to tell you that its a country restriction (which is only partly true)...

Currently I'm using an Archer C9v1.... I've been forced to set this up to think its in the United States so that I can get some range and bandwidth out of the 5Ghz network as it automatically uses channels 149 - 161 (which broadcast at a whopping 4000mW), this is great as I can get a great 5Ghz signal anywhere in my apartment and even outside the building and down the road :D ....

However this is breaking Ofcom's spectrum regulations for the UK which state that UNII-3 channels may only be used outdoors and for direct P2P connections (Office to Office) and also requires the application of a license, the funny thing about this too is that it appears that such a thing might exist nearby (which wouldn't surprise me being in middle of town) so I'm hoping I'm not causing any interference or popping up on any radars nearby.

Now switching down to channels 36 - 48 limit the broadcast power of the 5Ghz band down to a measly 200mW (Two Hundred) which means that coverage in my apartment becomes very not spotty, and as mentioned already other networks above me, below me and to the right are using these channels also.

I have noticed a couple of my neighbors routers using the UNII-2 (52-64) & UNII-2 Extended (100-144) channels, this for me would be ideal and would probably be the fair balance as the broadcast power level would then be increased to 1000mW.... however my Archer C9 will not do this....

However the Archer VR900 used to do it, but that had to be returned because of a bug and I decided I didn't want to use VDSL Modem & Router all in one's anymore.

The BT Home Hub 5 I was provided by BT also supports these channels, however I would prefer not to use it due to some missing features... I've also owned Apple Airport Extremes in the past that preferred using these channels even where no other 5Ghz networks existed... and finally noth Virgin's SH2&SH2ac's used them just fine too.

So why the hell is there such an issue with router manufacturers not allowing these channels to be used and essentially crippling and mis-selling there items.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: What's the deal with 5Ghz WiFi in the UK??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »

Does any of your kit do dynamic frequency selection ?

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »

I don't know, I assume not on my C9 but then I've not really come across any equipment that says it does in the user guide...

Is it consider an advanced feature, I understand it monitors channels for radar activity and then switches channels if any activity is detected.... I assume this means if a device will do channels above 48 it has DFS built in?

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:09:24 PM »

Does any of your kit do dynamic frequency selection ?

Example, I had an Asus AC87U for a while, that supported DFS.... however the support (manual) from Asus says nothing about it!