Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: After a high throughput router  (Read 9208 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: After a high throughput router
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »

But has it got enough horsepower for FTTP?

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 11:50:47 AM »

The N3150 should very easily handle a 330Mb connection, the previous post I made quoted someone saying it handled gigabit routing all day - either way the beauty of selecting your own components is you can configure the performance you require, need a faster system, select a different processor.

The OP can post to the pfSense forums or sub-reddit if he needs expert advice - https://forum.pfsense.org/  https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »

The N3150 should very easily handle a 330Mb connection, the previous post I made
Sorry, I don't know which of your previous posts you're referring to. Could you re-link it please?

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

Don't know if you have any PC bits and pieces lying around to build a pfSense router using a Celeron N3150 motherboard(typically around £60 - I use one with pfSense). Performance of the N3150(with AES-NI, which older Celerons don't have) is quite good -

You are correct that OpenSSL can take advantage of kernel-module based crypto engines, but I suppose I should have been more specific.

Although the OpenVPN OpenSSL implementation can take advantage of hardware acceleration, including ARM modules and AES-NI, it is extremely inefficient at it. The way OpenVPN handles encryption does not take well to hardware acceleration because of the actual way it handles the encryption. I don't remember how it is different that IPSEC exactly but I remember it has something to do with the way OpenSSL handles accelerators not being 100% secure.

A good example of this is the litter router I just built to run PFSense. The CPU is a Celeron N3150 which supports AES-NI. The box will route gigabit all day with no issues and run IPSEC AES-256-CBC at about 125Mbit without AES-NI enabled, OpenVPN AES-256-CBC will only push 98Mbit. Enabling AES-NI support at the kernel level brings IPSEC AES-256-CBC to 400Mbit and OpenVPN AES-256-CBC to 122Mbit.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?p=521878&sid=3db63f9c8a946e09f4b6d5d268fd68cf#p515300

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17428.msg318440.html#msg318440

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »

Ah yes thanks.

LinuxPhil

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »

Hi All,

As some of you are aware I am soon going to have FTTH installed and I am considering upgrading the home network. Ideally I want a router/gateway with a good firewall and QoS. A VPN feature would be a bonus. Given the the speed of FTTH it needs to have a high throughput. Need something that will handle 330Mbps at the barest minimum. Wireless is not necessary as there will be a Ubiquiti access point if this goes ahead.

Price wise looking for something £150 or less. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated

Cheers

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Just wondering what decision you made as I was recently in exactly the same position as you - just got a FTTC 80/20Mbit connection and wanted a high throughput firewall router. VPN not important, nor wireless which can be provided by a separate WAP.

Top of my list was one of the cheap (well, £150ish) Chinese mini-pc boxes running Linux as a DIY router.

I also considered various router firewall boxes such as Cisco RV320, Linksys LRT224, Netgear FVS318G or FVS336G, ZyXel ZyWall 110, all of which had decent throughput performance figures, but often had some awful end user reviews (I can't live with an unstable product) or were just too expensive for me (ZyXel, FireBrick etc).

Then I discovered the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite that you mention - it appeared to tick all the boxes and user reviews all looked very positive so I took the plunge (this was a totally new brand/product to me).

Well I couldn't be happier. The product is very well built and appears stable (admittedly after only 1 week in use), is extremely configurable and now has a great GUI user interface (I'm running the latest V1.8.5 firmware). It's a proper no nonsense iptables-based firewall with hardware offloading and is reportedly capable of near gigabit throughput speeds so my 80/20Mbit connection certainly won't be stretching it any time soon.

Price in the UK is a little more than in the US (nothing new there), but I picked mine up for under £100 so the price-performance comfortably beats anything else available.

Pair it with a WAP / switch and you are good to go :)

Looking forward to hearing what solution you have gone with. The EdgeRouter PoE might even be an option for you as you mention the need for a PoE switch.

The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite comes very highly recommended by me as a very high throughput firewall router for SOHO use.

Regards,

Phil

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »

The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite comes very highly recommended by me as a very high throughput firewall router for SOHO use.

Regards,

Phil

The EdgeRouter Lite is fine(used to own one years ago), essentially running a fork of Vyatta, with some hardware packet handling acceleration in its Cavium 500MHz 2-core CPU but it's essentially proprietary since the hardware acceleration is only available to people who have an agreement with Cavium(last time I checked). Also VPN performance is a lot slower than a cheap Celeron with AES-NI - about 150Mb/s max with IPSec and hardware offload(vs 400Mbit on a cheap Celeron with AES-NI).

ryan2390

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »

Hi All,

Me again. We have the FTTH now and I'm now actively looking for a router capable of handling 330Mbps + WAN to LAN traffic. So far I am looking at the Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite. My main concern is how easy is it to set up? With the exception of configuring the LAN IP 'layout', DNS servers and PPoE configurations I want it to be largely plug and play.

So does anyone have one of these Ubiquiti boxes and if so how do you find it?

Ta

Ryan

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »

So does anyone have one of these Ubiquiti boxes and if so how do you find it?

Reply #20, above . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 09:28:54 PM »

Netgear R7800, currently the fastest router out

ryan2390

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »

Reply #20, above . . .

Not having much luck at this lately am I?

Perhaps what I should have said was does anybody else have an Edge router lite and how do you find them?

Netgear R7800, currently the fastest router out

Expensive for what it is. We don't need the wireless anyway as we will have that covered. Trouble we have Geekofbroadband is that we need try and get complete coverage of the house which we don't at the moment and re-siting a consumer grade wireless router to try and improve coverage is easier said than done.

Pages: 1 [2]