Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: suggestion; hardware in sig?  (Read 4857 times)

plexy

• Reg Member
suggestion; hardware in sig?
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »

I was wondering if i may make a suggestion? On some forums (my own included) its sometimes asked of users to include in their forum signature the make/model of the device/vehicle/whatever that are engaging with the forum is about. Could I suggest gentle encouragement of users here to do same? From a helping standpoint, it makes the communities life easier. From an admin point of view it also saves DB space over time as some posts are inevitably the back and forth Q's around service type, modem make/model etc will increase thread size.

--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: suggestion; hardware in sig?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »

I think that is an excellent idea. I would suggest the following information - ISP  Connection type (ADSL, FTTC or FTTP {for the lucky ones  ;) } and Modem/Router make and model (both if two boxes are used).

Stuart

Edit: AS you can see I have added my data to my signature.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:27:43 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »

Yes, I agree so I have added my data.
Tony
 Plusnet FTTC TD-W9980

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »

cheers :)

If this is OK with the mods / admins and others want to do it (if not, please moderate this post);

click here,

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=profile

go to 'modify profile' -> 'forum profile' and you can create/edit/save signatures there
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »

Fab idea!

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:10:36 PM »

Thinking more on this - how about we try for a standardized format. I like that you included the cab type underzone. What do people think to

Provider | SpeedDown/Speedup (or product?) | vDSL hardware make/model | Cab type (if known) | Line length (if known)

Also providers of things like speedtests and suchlike often give users links to put in their sigs - does the cloud router stats monitor from here do that ? if it doesnt, id be happy to help out for the community as ive done a few of those before.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:47:43 PM »

I think the idea of standard information is good, not sure it needs to be a specific format as long as the information is clear and concise, and yes the CAB type is a good add.... not sure if speed is really needed though.

Also I'm not sure about adding  stuff like links to stats etc mainly as it slows down page completion and ups the bandwidth needed as there could be several graphs and graphics being displayed on a single page and most of that stuff will not be relevant to all threads or even every reply.

Stuart
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:02:01 PM by broadstairs »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »

I agree with Stuart on the last point. Big graphics in sigs are a distraction, they take up space, and rarely serve any useful purpose.
  Eric

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:35:18 PM »

As somebody who doesn't like sigs at the best of times, I'm not at all keen on the idea of more unnecessary clutter. If the details are pertinent to the post then include them in the post, if they are not pertinent having them in a sig is a pointless exercise. Just my grumpy 2pennyworth.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »

While I do agree that sigs can be cluttered and distracting sometimes in this case I think a single line containing just that pertinent information can be of use on a forum like this which lets face it is all about the networking hardware.

If you start a thread with all the relevant info in it about your link then when it gets to subsequent pages someone may well ask 'Whats your router' rather than going back through the whole thread to find out. This is why I support such an addition but it has to be optional, although if you decide against it then I believe you should be prepared to answer any questions about this information at any time rather than expecting the reader to page though maybe 10 0r 20 pages to find the answer.

Just my 10 penneth!

Stuart

Just to cite an example I was just looking at page 26 of the 'I have G.INP on ECI' thread where someone asks are you with SKY, now I seem to remember that was stated earlier in the thread however if it was in their sig the question would not be needed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:33:08 PM by broadstairs »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »

ok boss

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:07 PM »

As somebody who doesn't like sigs at the best of times, I'm not at all keen on the idea of more unnecessary clutter. If the details are pertinent to the post then include them in the post, if they are not pertinent having them in a sig is a pointless exercise. Just my grumpy 2pennyworth.

for that there is the option of disabling display of user's sig's.

anything