Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Free Sat Nav App For iPhone 4  (Read 5827 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Free Sat Nav App For iPhone 4
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:26:31 AM »

I downloaded this free app http://www.skobbler.co.uk/apps
for the 'Scout' Sat Nav for my iphone.
also downloaded the free uk maps to the phone for off line use .

Not had chance to try it yet .

Has anyone had any experience with these ?, are they any good ?.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Free Sat Nav App For iPhone 4
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »

I never tried that one, but an IoS one that I did use was NavFree.

What I liked about it is that you could download maps over wifi before your journey so I could use it on the ipad without any need for data.
You have to pay extras though if you wanted things like speed cams or foreign maps and fancy voices.
I dont have my ipad any more and its a while since I used it, but the version I had only had 1 voice - which was good enough to get me to a friends house after she'd moved to the middle of nowhere and I didnt have a clue where I was going.   I took the ipad because of the larger screen, but I've no doubt they will also do an iphone version.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Free Sat Nav App For iPhone 4
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:34:36 AM »

Google maps has voice navigation and allows a fairly large area (50-100 mile radius iirc) to be cached for offline use, but I believe you must sell your soul sign in to google to do use the cache.

Apple's own maps app also has voice Nav and seems to have a very good caching algorithm, ensuring navigation continues to work well into any 'no-signal' zones, but I don't think the caching is documented in any detail.