Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2nd Line strange on DSL Checker  (Read 5625 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: 2nd Line strange on DSL Checker
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »

Update from Plusnet
 - CSC Analyst
9:44am, Monday 4 Apr 2016
Dear Mr Stephenson,

This Question is now on hold until Tuesday 5th April at 7:00am.

Kind regards,

[INTERNAL] On hold to await tags updating. DSLchecker shows fibre available but not tags.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

Well estimate is showing on DSL checker now, it's higher than my existing line, is that normal?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

Are both lines connected via the same DP? If yes, then I would expect to see the same estimate for each circuit.

However, being estimates, I would not rely too much on the values being shown.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »

I have a crossed line fault now so I have no idea at the moment.....

Damn contracters..,  :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »

Call 17070 on each line in turn and let the equipment tell you the allocated number. Call the number allocated to line A (from line B) and see if the call proceeds. Then call the number allocated to line B (from line A) and see if the call proceeds.

(If one call goes to the Chinese Laundry and the other goes to Mavis, the local gossip, then you've definitely had the attention of an employee of Kelly Communications or M J Quinn.  :-X  )

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »

Was a Quinn installation.

Number 17070 gives me is the wrong number Plusnet saw it as an external fault immediately,  and have set the fix in motion.

My old line has no issues whatsoever, the new one is the one with all the problems.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

Ah yes. I've just looked back in this thread and I see that you mention that a neighbours circuit stopped working at the same time as your new line was installed.  :-X

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »

You think the engineer that went to fix the neighbors phone just switched the pair over at the cabinet?

Thanks to the Quinn engineer I have no idea what the hell happened, I don't even know if there was capacity at the DP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »

Obviously I don't know exactly what has happened but certain events that you have recounted makes me wonder . . .  :-X

Have you tried calling the number that has been allocated to your new line? If so, does it get answered? You already know the wrong number that has been associated with the line, so could it be a case that the respective numbers have just been transposed?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »

Obviously I don't know exactly what has happened but certain events that you have recounted makes me wonder . . .  :-X

Have you tried calling the number that has been allocated to your new line? If so, does it get answered? You already know the wrong number that has been associated with the line, so could it be a case that the respective numbers have just been transposed?

When I rang it on the install day it worked, I've tried ringing the allocated number now it rings but I don't get through to anyone.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »

Well estimate is showing on DSL checker now, it's higher than my existing line, is that normal?

Answering this might be moot, now it is known to be a crossed line, but this struck me ...

Ordinarily, b*cat would be right - a line from the same DP ought to have the same estimate. I imagine this is true for all address checks, where specific copper data can't be used.

However, BlackSheep showed us an example of some E-side copper routing, where cables into one PCP had slightly different mixes of 0.32mm copper, 0.4mm copper and 0.5mm copper. That all led to slightly different losses - for E-side lines into the PCP.

The question is ... could the same thing happen on the D-side? Could some of the copper routing be on slightly different cables?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »

I have no dial tone now, DAMN YOU QUINN's!  ::)

Good job the Fiber order doesn't go active till the 19th, I have an estimated fix date of my fault by tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:53:12 PM by S.Stephenson »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »

Ordinarily, b*cat would be right - a line from the same DP ought to have the same estimate. I imagine this is true for all address checks, where specific copper data can't be used.

However, BlackSheep showed us an example of some E-side copper routing, where cables into one PCP had slightly different mixes of 0.32mm copper, 0.4mm copper and 0.5mm copper. That all led to slightly different losses - for E-side lines into the PCP.

The question is ... could the same thing happen on the D-side? Could some of the copper routing be on slightly different cables?

That is a good question.

I have stopped and looked up at many a pole-top DP.
  • Some poles just have one "coffin" (the informal Openreach name for the connection enclosure) and one tail running down the pole to join the underground D-side cabling. In the case just described, I think it would be highly unlikely that some pairs in the tail are connected to one D-side cable (of "X" poundage) and the other pairs in the tail are connected to a separate D-side cable (of "Y" poundage).
  • Other poles may have two or more "coffins", each with its own tail running down the pole to join the underground D-side cabling. In this case, there is the possibility of each tail is joined to separate D-side cables and each separate D-side cable to be of different poundage. In this scenario, no assumption can be made about the equivalence of loss for each individual circuit.
My feeling is that an average value of the possible DS & US speeds is quoted per DP and that the average value is modified once real-world speed measurements have been made.

Such adjustments have been observed to occur (by Walter in the Surrey Hills catchment area of his wheelbarrow, for example) and could, feasibly, incorporate corrections for different poundage D-side cables feeding multi-"coffin" pole-top DPs.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 11:57:37 AM »

BT engineer came to day line has the correct number and he says he's going to update the routing so it'll be interesting to see if the estimates change.

Current check shows the higher range and the 19th as the date order should complete.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:54:57 PM by S.Stephenson »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »

I shall be watching, with interest, for your "as and when" reports.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything