Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slight Netgear Adaptor Problem  (Read 2925 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Slight Netgear Adaptor Problem
« on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:06 PM »

Slight Netgear Adaptor Problem

Situation:
Orange Livebox switched on 24/7 and connected to the phone line.

Computer 2 has Netgear WG111v3 Adaptor and connects to Livebox every time computer is turned on.
The Netgear windows appears at start-up but I just click Close and I am then on-line.

Computer 1 has Netgear WG111T Adaptor but almost every time the computer is turned on it does not connect and I have to insert the flash drive with the installer on and go through the uninstall procedure then it reinstalls the software and says to shutdown and connect the Adaptor and restart. It then proceeds to install the Adaptor and I then have the rigmarole of entering the WEP code twice before it will try to connect.

How do I make PC1 keep the details and just connect like PC2 does, when it is started up?

I have swapped both the adaptors and software onto the other computers but the WG111T still does the same, needs to be reinstalled no matter which computer it is installed on, after the PC has been shut down.

dave

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Slight Netgear Adaptor Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »

dave, have a look for an updated driver if available from netgear.

I had a look at someones Netgear wireless adaptor (attempting to connect to Netgear DG834G) and it just refused to connect.

I tried both a manual driver installation opting to use the Windows XP built-in wireless stuff (which I personally prefer) and also did it the simple way by running the full installation from the CD and using the netgear utility.

In both cases it refused to work properly, the connection kept connecting and dropping immeadiately.

In the end I had to disable all wireless security on the router. When WEP or WPA security was enabled the stupid thing just wouldn't work.

So that might be something else to try for purposes of diagnosing the problem, try briefly disabling your wireless security if you feel safe doing so and see if it will connect properly then.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

Cheers, Soms,
I have just been and downloaded a newer driver and will see if that improves the situation.
Funny really, the instructions on the site were to uninstall the adaptor and all its software then go to the link and download the updated driver!  :o Hello!  No adaptor, connect to internet?

Any way, I am on that PC now with the updated adaptor  so I will see if it connects when I turn it on tomorrow. Will let you know.

The one thing about this is that entering the WEP code twice every time has now created the situation where I am trying to enter the WEP code in the hole-in-the-wall to get some money out. It doesn't work and is embarrassing if there is a queue behind me. So another reason I hope it now works OK.

dave

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 01:01:36 AM »

First time in two days that the older PC has been on and it connected on startup automatically.

Thanks, Soms, it looks like it must have needed the driver update.

It wasn't a problem tonight, I will just keep an eye on it .
dave

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:09:27 PM »

No probs, glad to hear it working better  :)