Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Inbound SIP services  (Read 15733 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Inbound SIP services
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »

Hi,

This doesn't seem quite the right place for this question, but nowhere else seemed to fit either.   Question for any of you who are using SIP as your main telephone service, for inbound calls.   What provider(s) do you use, and any feedback?   We've decided to ditch our landline number and go SIP, currently I'm signed up with SIPgate with a local number, but I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable about what's effectively a free service.  There was a scare a couple of years ago when they announced the end of the basic service, then changed their minds.   I don't specially want to change our number in the first place, so don't want to go through the process then find we lose the number a year or so down the line.

Thanks,  Tony S

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Inbound SIP services
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »

I use Andrews and Arnold's SIP service. AA's service can also redirect an incoming call to a completely different number, at times we have used this extremely handy feature to redirect to my wife's mobile phone.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:40:23 PM by Weaver »

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »

If I remember correctly, Sipgate were only pulling out of the free service at the time - not the business part of the business, So you could go to their business offering, if you wish to pay for it. Sipgate seems to have put in a lot of time and effort in revamping their web site for the free part of their service, so I would be surprised if they pulled out now. I hope they don't, as I  have been very happy with them over the years..............
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:59:55 PM by benji09 »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »

Cheer.  As it happens Sipgate reversed their decision, so it's not clear what options would have been available, for example whether their numbers could have been ported out.   A&A looks good at first glance, however I note they don't support their SIP service if you use NAT.   My Gigaset phone works perfectly with SIPgate and I've tested with "discountvoip" and that seems to work as well, although they don't do inbound.   

Also looking at "localphone.com" which is another prepaid service.  I like the idea of pre-paid because that reduces toll fraud risk.

splbound

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »

I use sipgate and didlogic for inbound. Using a Gigaset N300IP with two dect handsets. Very happy with it all... well as long as my connection stays up.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 06:59:51 PM »

Cheers.  I have the same rig.  I think I'm settled on using the Sipgate number for inbound, and have signed up with Discount VoIP who seem to have the lower call rates on the go, and can be set to present our Sipgate number as CLI.  Not that we make many calls, but I notice that some of the cheaper providers are not so cheap for calls to mobiles, maybe landlines are used almost as a loss leader.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »

Discount VoIP who seem to have the lower call rates

The following is a useful price comparison site for these betamax resellers.
http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-4-2.html

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »

thats a really handy link thanks for that!

Personally for SIP I run a asterisk box, sipgate delivers me an inbound number and I route outbound via things like voipcheap. its not my main line so it runs on a shoestring budget of £0 per month as long as I dont call mobiles.
--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »

My solution is to use my BT land line for incoming calls and voip for cheaper outbound calls -- I have no need for a voip number.
To enable both land line and voip calls to be made and or received by the one phone (DECT base station) I use a Obi110 which routes both POTS and VOIP to and from the one phone.

It's very configurable, I can route special numbers over the BT line, eg 999, 1471, 0800xxxxxxxx numbers.
And even screen or block nuisance calls.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10499.msg69255#msg69255

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

Obi110 look like a great device.  Can you dial a prefix to force to use landline? Can you also test numbers e.g. dial 999 and see if it is using landline or sip without it obviously dialing 999!?  Thanks

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »

I need a SIP inbound number because we're going to convert the land line to DSL only.   Reading around it looks like Sipgate numbers can be ported out, so I'm now "publishing" that as our new number.   Discount VoIP lets you set your own CLI so I have that set to present the Sipgate number, I could equally have set it to present our landline number.   The Sipgate number is validated for 999 use, Discount VoIP isn't.

The Gigaset handset lets you do the same routing as described above, based on the number dialled.  It doesn't however allow an access code which selects the line but is not sent to the provider.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »

@ktz392837
Yes you can dial a prefix to force a call to use the land line or to use the second voip account.

I haven't tested the 999 routing over BT directly, but it's configured as part of a "outbound call route" rule with other numbers.
eg ,{(<#:>|0800xxx xxxx?S2|999|111|101|1471|17070):li},
0800, 1471, 17070 are routed over BT so I have no doubt all the above number go through BT.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 05:51:44 PM »

Can you setup the device without doing anything on Obi website? If the Obi site is closed do you still have all the features of the device?

Do you need extra software/hardware to get the nuisance blocking or does the Obi support playing the sound files?

Can you ban certain numbers eg premium and play a message when you dial banned numbers?

One review I found mentioned a large delay when trying to dial on landline do you have this issue.

Thanks it is great to get direct feedback from an actual user.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:24:02 PM by ktz392837 »

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

By default the device can be configure directly and/or through the obi website.
The obi website config can be disabled so the device is then only configured directly, which IMO is preferable.

The Obi supports playing a pre-recorded sound file but it's a bit of a pain recording the message and getting the sound level right. If you need this I can send you my "AA User Prompts backup file" which contains the recorded sound file  - as per the text in the previous link.

Yes you can block predefined outbound number eg all 09 or 07 numbers etc.
Not sure about it playing a message -- not something I've tested.

You can create your own list of blocked inbound numbers, you can either silently block them, or something I do, divert them to a free VoIP address which plays a silly message.

There's no delay sending (or hearing the dialling tones) but there is a 4 or 5 second delay before hearing the ring tone from the far end. I had assumed that delay to be my VoIP provider routing the call.

If you do get one, be sure to install the UK config.
https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=368

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

Thanks does it have a cable to connect the obi line out to the BT socket and a cable to connect handset to obi?  I guess I need rj square to bt rectangle cables?

Very tempted to give this a try will take a year or so get back the price of the box but in the meantime the nuisance blocker will be invaluable.

To disable the obi config is it obvious?  Can I unbox, connect obi to router, give it static IP address, view IP address in browser, import UK config, config as required (eg block premium numbers) and be ready to go?
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything