Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924 on ebay @ £44  (Read 17439 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Zyxel VMG8924 on ebay @ £44
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »

Hi,

If anyone is interested, there are a few VMG8924's on eBay currently. The seller states they've been taken out the box, set up by the ISP then put back in the box as they use they're own gateways. I just paid £40 for one. They're listed as ZyXEL VMG8324/8924 but I've confirmed they are the 8924s.

The seller is: kevinallitt - no affiliation whatsoever, just passing on the information.

Thanks,

Paul
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Zyxel VMG8924 on ebay @ £44
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »

Repeating this in here.  3 available but 2 already sold, so you may have to be quick if you want one. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZyXEL-VMG8324-8924-B10A-VDSL2-Dual-band-Dual-concurrent-802-11ac-1300-Mbs-WIFI-/161982896990
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:44:04 PM »

Too late all gone now....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »

A couple more are available- I just picked one up for £40 as well  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:51:58 PM »

I'm still seeing one left here.   
However Im sure that the wording has changed from when I last looked: Im pretty sure it said 3 available, 2 sold whilst now its saying Last one, 2 sold in 1 hour.  So it does look like he probably has added a few more.

---
ETA

reading the gumph
I have 6 of these 2 are without the box but since this retails at around £100 its a bargain at £54 :)

£54 is noted.   But £44 inc P&P are what they are offered at.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:59:06 PM by kitz »
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »

I just looked and it said listing ended, earlier it said 3 available 3 sold!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »

Ordered one earlier this afternoon, & it's showing as being dispatched. :)

We will see how it compares to my HG612 :-\

Might put the HG612 on the bay, along with my 2750n, as Draytek won't offer G.INP compatible firmware for it. >:(
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:22:16 PM by KIAB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:03:08 PM »

earlier it said 3 available 3 sold!

Yep that fits in with the '3 available 2 sold' sold I saw earlier.    However Im not sure how that all fits in with the comment for 6 at £54.

If I had to hazard a guess that he originally listed 6 at £54 which didnt sell, so he re-listed 3 for £44.  The youngsyp spotted the bargain, told on here and KIAB bought one.  Which would account for 2/3 at the time of my repost.  1/2hr later the 3rd one had obviously gone and then an hour later broadstairs said theres more.   So he probably added the other 3 and now it looks like they have all definitely gone.

Ive also just noticed he's from Hull and he said they were supplied by his ISP, but they use their own brand routers.  So these look like they will be the same ones that you can buy from KC my:tech for £99 (which is still the cheapest place to get one new)

Hhe @ youngsyp.  You should get a discount/commission on yours, because once you shared on here they soon went :D
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »

@ KIAB, our posts crossed.

Yep I noticed earlier that you'd bought one.    I admit the f/w can be buggy in places, but on the whole I really like my VMG8324.   Its the one I keep going back to.  I must admit my credit card was beckoning..  but I thought I best not.   Although I'd like an 8924 for better wifi, Ive had so much expense over the past few months that I really cant justify it.  :/
-----

youngsyp

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »

Mine arrived today and is installed and running nicely. I used the backed up config file from my F1000 and everything seems to be set correctly. For some odd reason the WiFi passphrases set to some random combination when I upgraded the FW (most recent version) but that was easily rectified of course.

Hope everyone else who bought one is happy with theirs.

Paul

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:09:12 PM »

Mine arrived today and is installed and running nicely. I used the backed up config file from my F1000 and everything seems to be set correctly. For some odd reason the WiFi passphrases set to some random combination when I upgraded the FW (most recent version) but that was easily rectified of course.

Hope everyone else who bought one is happy with theirs.

Paul

Hopefully mind should arrive tomorrow,just downloaded manual, it's 412 pages  :silly:,going to be like reading War & Peace. ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »

Annoyed I missed this! Could have re-ebayed my 8324 and got dual band bargain 8924, drat and double-drat!

Chunks

youngsyp

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

Hopefully mind should arrive tomorrow,just downloaded manual, it's 412 pages  :silly:,going to be like reading War & Peace. ;D
The manual's nice to have but I honestly think you won't need it. I'm by no means an expert and I managed to set up the WAN, WLAN, LAN with port forwarding, static IP's for the majority of my devices, put the PS4 in the DMZ and set up scheduling to turn the WiFi on and off without using the wizard or consulting the manual. The GUI is very intuitive and with common language used too.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 09:22:33 PM »

I agree.   Its nice to have a 'proper manual' but I dont think I've actually used it much as the GUI seems fairly intuitive for most things. 

Although saying that the GUI is also fairly intense and may take a while to become familiar with.  One of the really nice things about this router is that most changes can be made via the web interface and I dont think Ive ever had to actually go into the CLI to change any settings.     Much of the GUI appears that it may have been based around say the SBG3300 which is a small business based router so by default has lots of settings that consumer grade routers dont usually have. 

Re the manuals,  if you get bored reading the 500 page user manual, then theres also about a 50 page CLI manual knocking around somewhere. 
-----

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »

Hi,

If anyone is interested, there are a few VMG8924's on eBay currently. The seller states they've been taken out the box, set up by the ISP then put back in the box as they use they're own gateways. I just paid £40 for one. They're listed as ZyXEL VMG8324/8924 but I've confirmed they are the 8924s.

The seller is: kevinallitt - no affiliation whatsoever, just passing on the information.

Thanks,

Paul

Many thanks for the heads-up for this, quite a bargain given the seller sent by special delivery. Got mine today after a trek to the sorting office, gave it a polish with some Greygate and it has come up like new!

Currently running it off the 8800NL until I am happy it is stable, but so far it has been fine. Just one glitch when testing out the VoIP functionality when the unit appeared to hang, but that was before I updated the firmware. Perhaps a bit more research into the multitudinous parameters is required so perhaps I'll need to RTFM after all!  :(
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

anything