Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New DG834(G)v3 firmware released  (Read 17129 times)

graevine1

• Reg Member
Re: New DG834(G)v3 firmware released
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 09:32:35 PM »

There is nothing wrong with adsl or any of its predisessors or advancements. (Big words for me tonight courtesy of of Chile and its good liquid).

My usual statement its the quality or lack of it, of the twisted fragile poorly maintained copper pairs, (leave out the word Aluminium thats an even worse word for other than DC and one day of life)

lodge

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »

Quote from: b4dger
Anyone else out there with a v3 on a long line could also try this - then when we hear how they got on and see the SNRM RouterStats graph we'll know if Netgear have 'fixed' things!

Well, I am on a long line and downloaded this 'upgrade' 24 hours ago and it hasn't made a jot of difference. In fact, I have had more drops than usual. I had been deferring buying a new router waiting for this to come out, but i think I will be visiting Ebay or similar soon.   :no:

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

I have a reservation that is that I dont believe it will benefit all types of line condition in respect to all "types" of noise but may benefit most. Ive got three Version 3 DG834G here but it will take a few weeks with each to come to a positive conclusion on each line with differing problems.

I hope if b4dger does not wish to buy a Ver 3 someone can lend him one as his results on his personal blog hold such interesting observations that I hope he can do a direct comparison with a ver3 with firmware prior to this latest mod and with then this latest firmware.

Enjoy life its time for my nightcap.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:54 AM »

I will be emailing Netgear again. It appears the new firmware has an issue with Authing. Twice in the last 48hrs, it has dropped and not picked it back up again. I am checking just in case its our side thats doing it.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »

It appears that there is a difference in the firmware for those as old as us do a machine code comparison and you can see the differing areas of code.
To early to say all yet as I said in a previous post it will take at least two weeks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 09:55:04 AM »

What do you mean? Of course there's a difference in the firmware - it's new firmware. ???
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »

It also has a new dsl code which was released from infineon.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 11:08:40 AM »

Too early to say all yet as I said in a previous post it will take at least two weeks.

Can you say why you think it will take at least two weeks?
You should be able to compare the SNR fluctuation from two days - one with the old firmware and then with the new firmware.
If the difference is as dramatic as going from Netgear to Thomson the performance will be immediately evident...

I appreciate noise can vary on a day to day basis but if the AR7 is 'fixed' then it should be obvious.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

Iv'e had the kind offer of a loan of a v3 to test this...  but my line/DLM is too fragile to attempt anything right now.

I appreciate everyone needs the best of everything to maintain their adsl  ;) but those lucky enough to be on a decent line and close to their exchange with the maximum 8128 sync often didn't have  the problems reported with Netgear and AR7 chipsets in the first place.

I know a few people using Netgears (with AR7) with no problems at all, the problem often seems to come to light with longer and noisier lines - this is where the hopefully better firmware would help.

As you mention it's also easy to 'upset' your exchange when trying to troubleshoot and improve things as BT's rules are so daft...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

>> but those lucky enough to be on a decent line and close to their exchange with the maximum 8128 sync often didn't have  the problems reported with Netgear and AR7 chipsets in the first place.

Thats quite correct, and something I certainly wont disagree on.

>> the problem often seems to come to light with longer and noisier lines

indeed..  and as previously mentioned to azzaka, Interleaving may also have a part to play.  Ive seen lines perform fine on a dg834g but only go to pot once interleaving was enabled.

>> easy to 'upset' your exchange when trying to troubleshoot and improve things as BT's rules are so daft

sadly yes...  as youre probably already aware its taken the best part of 3 weeks to resolve one single incident. 
After the hair-tearing and ticket tennis my ISP has had with BTw, I'm under strict instructions NEVER to reboot the router again  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »

There certainly appears to be something seriously wrong with the missinformation that is coming out from a certain broadband supply company. It makes me think that there may be dissinformation to cause deliberate confusion. We must get the specification to the supply and configuration of it in the many exchanges to which it is fitted before this debate can have a great deal of relivance.

Secondly I have just remembered that the security industry experience false alarms from spikes carried on the mains supply to alarm pannels and cctv. They reduce and eliminate these spikes in many cases by fitting mains filters which are generally under £10 because there is no need to have high current devices.
One such site of which there are many suppliers and I am not recomending this company but giving the link for information and guidance only.
http://www.actmeters.com/Suppressors-and-Filters.php

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »

Following Roseway comment
"What do you mean? Of course there's a difference in the firmware - it's new firmware"

Well Please compare this official release with the so called BETA version that some of us were in a position to trial prior to the official release !!!!

I think an apology may be in order!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 04:06:50 PM »

I don't have anything to apologise for. Your statement made no reference to the beta version; all you said was that the firmware was different.
  Eric

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »

I shall answer the comment from b4dger
"Can you say why you think it will take at least two weeks?
You should be able to compare the SNR fluctuation from two days - one with the old firmware and then with the new firmware.
If the difference is as dramatic as going from Netgear to Thomson the performance will be immediately evident...
I appreciate noise can vary on a day to day basis but if the AR7 is 'fixed' then it should be obvious."
ONE I have a profession interest as well as personal, this is not something that is worthy of a 'throw away' statement by me without confering with other trained and qualified professionals in this field, when a decision is made I shall consider comment.
To observe my personal line at this instant then the new firmware would show NO difference in performance because the noise AT THIS INSTANT is not present that causes my problems. However when the person whose line connection is in use, who feeds into the same 100 pair U/g cable that I am fed by from the exchange then I will receive an alarm to tell me that the condition is on the line, and I shall then be able to produce the evidence. It will not be my sole opinion but will be professionally refereed by other chartered Electronic Engineers so will carry great weight. I also have a life to live and my priority today is to produce a 4 litre batch of home made liquir Ice cream, Rum & Raison, Brandy & Sultana, Orange & Curacao, mint & creme de Menthe & Blueberry & Vodka as tomorrow I am cooking for two visiting Professors (in communications)  from a European and far Eastern Country.
and TWO it would I believe as I have said before if b4dger could borrow or scrounge a version 3 for a comparison. I have put my personal money where my mouth is and purchased SIX of these routers of Ebay in the last 3 weeks. All outputs are being recorded, it will not be done in an instant.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »

Open post to gravine.

I have been fortunate not to have taken part in any thread that you have started nor any that you have jumped in with both feet to try and make yourself look more qualified than you are.
With my limited knowledge of ADSL I do not sit in judgement over the advice given by the very experienced people who contribute to these forums.

I am at a loss as to whom the  “We” are that you keep acting as spokesperson for, because what you waffle on about is probably less than I know on the subject. Perhaps they are the mysterious people that, along with secret actions behind the scenes that you cannot disclose, are purely a figment of your imagination. As are a lot of your ‘facts’.

Whilst using the Kitz Forums to carry out several very sneaky and underhand actions to indicate that Kitz does not know what she is taking about, I think that your behaviour is probably in the category of a snakes belly as far as the lowest of the low goes.

These forums offer FREE advice and information to thousands of people and they do not need the misinformation that you keep posting. The owner of the Site and Forums gives a massive amount of her time to ensuring that things are running sweetly and, neither she nor anyone else on here wants to see that ruined by a (words fail me, for once) like you.

May I just draw your attention to the two posts in your thread that Kitz has replied to you:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1742.0

I would advice you to either wind your neck in and abide by the rules or shut the door on your way out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything