Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New DG834(G)v3 firmware released  (Read 17136 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
New DG834(G)v3 firmware released
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103272.asp

It's not clear from the description whether this is the long awaited fix for the AR7 chipset problem raised by Zen a few months ago. Does anyone know?
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: New DG834(G)v3 firmware released
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »

Just to add that I've upgraded my DG834G to this firmware, and so far all seems to be well. Only time will tell if it makes an improvement.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »

Judging from the descriptions in the Modifications / Bug Fixes list...

Then that looks like the public release of the one JerseyDevil offered as Beta which corrected the known WPA and other wireless issues.. 
Theres a couple of other things in there such as the negative SNRM recording fix,
but no mention of anything that appears to relate to the AR7 issues, unless its in "Updated the DSL driver to improve interoperability"

JerseyDevil said he had been working with Netgear, on behalf of the ISP he works for,  in respect of the  PS3 WPA-PSK issues at around xmas time.

IIRC azzaka said that when testing the beta version of the ar7 fix it also appeared to fix the WPA issues, so obviously that must have been in the work stack earlier.

[edit]
Fix is live and part of the Updated the DSL driver to improve interoperability - see azakas post below
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:23:44 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »

Oops - teach me to bookmark and update the original thread without checking the forum first...  :-[

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:05:53 AM »

Yes it is Official:  I have just had the confirmation from Netgear.

The new firmware has been Released!

You get the new firmware from here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103272.asp

The new firmware combines a new DSL code from Infineon which addressees the LOM (Loss of Margin) drops whereby the modem re-syncs when the SNR margin fluctuates. Zen have tested the new firmware at on DSL max lines prior to the release and Netgear have now released it to the public.

Thank you to all who have given feedback to either Zen or Netgear Directly.

Kindest Regards,

L.Goile
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:24:55 AM by Azzaka »
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

Thanks for confirming that Azzaka. I've got it installed on my DG834Gv3, and it's coping surprisingly well with my currently very noisy line.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »

Excellent news  :thumbs:

Azzaka
Do you by chance know if there any news about firmware for the DG834G v2, since a lot of people still have and use these routers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 01:49:57 PM »

Still checking the status of this one. I will keep you posted on that.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »

Yes it is Official:  I have just had the confirmation from Netgear.

The new firmware has been Released!

You get the new firmware from here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103272.asp

The new firmware combines a new DSL code from Infineon which addressees the LOM (Loss of Margin) drops whereby the modem re-syncs when the SNR margin fluctuates. Zen have tested the new firmware at on DSL max lines prior to the release and Netgear have now released it to the public.

Thank you to all who have given feedback to either Zen or Netgear Directly.

Kindest Regards,

L.Goile

This also fixes the problem with the AR7 Chipset and lines that have interleaving enabled.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

"This also fixes the problem with the AR7 Chipset and lines that have interleaving enabled"

It would be nice to see some proof of that  :)
I can't use the firmware as my only Netgear is a DG834v2 and the firmware update hasn't been released for that.
It would be nice to see someone with the correct v3 model take some RouterStats graphs (before and after) on a long noisy line to see the change.

Reading jaydog's original post where Azzaka mentioned waiting for this firmware, it would seem s/he would be in the right situation to carry this out - are you up for it jaydog? This could help sort your connection...

Anyone else out there with a v3 on a long line could also try this - then when we hear how they got on and see the SNRM RouterStats graph we'll know if Netgear have 'fixed' things!

I've captured SNRM graphs for my Netgear and Speedtouch to compare things and can see the improvement with the Speedtouch - it would be good to see if things are as good with the new firmware.

Edit: I see Roseway mentions running this software but it looks like they also fitted a "mains interference suppressor" at the same time... 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:47:45 PM by b4dger »

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »

Take it from me it really works, You missed a version 3 for a £5 on Ebay the AOL ones are unlocked toooo Ive had 5 recently my neighbours love them more than their wives!!!! (not difficult for Some!!!!)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 03:53:22 PM »

Hi graevine1,
I don't need a v3 as my 585v6 is performing great  8)

I would just be interested in seeing the recorded improvement of the new firmware.
The graphs I put on my website www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adsl-snr show the dramatic difference between an AR7 Netgear (losing sync in the evening with a negative SNR) to a Speedtouch that might only drop 2 or 3db in the evening.

I'm sure the new firmware is great, so it would be nice to see it in 'black and white' ...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 04:07:30 PM »

Yes, you're right. It would be good to see facts rather than assertions. I'm using a DG834v3 with the new firmware at present, but as my line has a fault at the moment any results will not really be representative. All I can say is that it does seem to be performing better under these conditions than the ST576 which I was using.
  Eric

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »

Yes but what would be so interesting and a closure if that is the correct word would be if b4dger could get his mitts on a version 3 and under the same conditions as he has done the tests on a version 2 and 585 that would be so interesting.

Well I have an ewxtremly interesting situation in that every time I get a drop on my land line ie a neg of -2db or greater my rx sync comes back faster. YES YES I mean faster, I am on a 3Kilometer of "E" side and approx 500 meters of "D" side from the CAB and Im peaking 6.6Meg unfortunatly as I was daily using the BT speedtester which has gone "modern"! this week after its hiliday for Easter I guess I cant compare like with like. BUT I SHALL. my throuput is around 3200 to 3600
I think because of all my complaints they have set an automatic regrade each night. Just a thought or guess, I SHALL discover.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »

It seems lots of regulars here have an ADSL problem at the moment - even the site owner  :hmm:

ADSL is such a fragile beast...
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything