Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mini review / first impressions of HP 1820G gigabit switch (24 port)  (Read 2950 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I have just bought a HP 1820-24G switch, a 24-port gigabit switch for SMEs with optional PoE. I'm really pleased with it. The device supports jumbo frames < 9216 bytes. It has a reasonably good range of DOS security features, unfortunately there is no system to prevent the use of malicious ARP / NDP hijacking. VLANs are supported. The management UI is web-based and very clear and usable. The device unfortunately does not not allow the use of IPv6 in dozens of places where there is an opportunity to do so. The switch speaks SNMP.

It's very easy to use, except that I'm too stupid to work out how to handle VLANs productively, and a friendlier UI might help (or replacement brain).

BigBunny

Re: Mini review / first impressions of HP 1820G gigabit switch (24 port)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »

That is where Netgear are very good.  Their documentation on switches is really good and easy to read so even the less capable can get their heads around it.  Even somebody like me that played with switches, servers, etc all day for many years of my life found some of it useful.  Netgear documentation is free to download, and Draytek have FAQs on their site where at least one goes into setting up VLANs. Either of these may help you.

Incidentally what are you going to use the PoE for?  We used it for some WAP and also VoIP handsets.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Mini review / first impressions of HP 1820G gigabit switch (24 port)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »

Sorry, I have the no-PoE variant. I do have other kit that uses PoE, a couple of WAPs.

anything