Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: iPhone 4  (Read 21563 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: iPhone 4
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »

Thinking about this while trying to get to sleep last night, is it just as simply making another user account on the itunes computer  and backing it up again :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:52 PM »

That may well work and given your circumstances where the 'user' on the PC is of no value, might well be worth a try? 

I think that when you connect the phone you might be prompted to 'erase and sync' with the new, empty, library.  From the sound of things that is probably exactly what you want...

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2016, 12:28:39 AM »

That worked ok, I have got rid of the un-wanted photo's and also managed to download my contacts from old Samsung phone to the win7 computer, save them under contacts then download to the iphone.  ;D
Then back it up again.

Next puzzling thing is the Dots top left, are the the normal phone signal strength or something to do with 3G or Data .

As I put in another post we now have a 'signal box'  because we do not get a phone signal, but my iphone and my wife's.

We both have 'Mobile Data' and '3G'    turned off      We can not make phone calls at home >:D
Are we supposed to have 3G on ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »

The dots are signal strength.

Am I right that your 'signal box' is a Femto cell?   

If so then I would have expected voice calls to work without data enabled, but I could be wrong.  Femto cells are one of many things I know very little about. :blush:

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »

Hi

I think you have not enabled wifi or it cannot access your signal box

Like sevenlayermuddle, I don't know much about signal box, I used to with the blackberry/orange box I think it was, so if it's this box you refer to, from memory, you need to login to signal box and authorise the mobiles which are allowed to use it

Many thanks and sorry if I'm wrong

John

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »

I had a Vodafone Suresignal and this needed 3G enabled on the phone to work.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 10:11:13 AM »

Am I right that your 'signal box' is a Femto cell?   

Yes.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »

I think you have not enabled wifi or it cannot access your signal box

Well I have WiFi turned on on my phone but I think it sends out a very weak phone signal so me thinks I should have 3G turned on on my iphone  :hmm:   :shrug2:

I had a shock when I found out some of the apps where using my £5 PAYG and it Now £2.50  >:(  so I turned off 3G and Data, should I only turn off Mobile Data ?.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »

Hi

Yes, disable mobile data, which should stop the iPhone from using mobile data and only use wifi

Also, turn off roaming data, in case you go abroad

Lastly, goto settings and check your apps, incase there set to use mobile data

@dray, that was what I was thinking about, but old age stopped me remembering its name

Many thanks

John

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2016, 10:50:58 AM »

The femto cell emits a 3G phone signal so you need 3G turned on on the iPhone for it to work.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »

The femto cell emits a 3G phone signal so you need 3G turned on on the iPhone for it to work.

Yes that works, four dots and tried free call to T.Mobile 150 .

But turning 3G on will the iphone want to use that instead of WiFi for some things ?.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2016, 06:53:54 PM »

As long as 'mobile data' is turned off you shouldn't be charged for any data, regardless of the 3G setting.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything