Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: iPhone 4  (Read 21559 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
iPhone 4
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »

My Daughter has given me her old iphone 4 after getting a new iphone 6.

It's the first fully smart phone I have had :).

I was told by EE if I go into the T mobile shop in the nearby town they will give me a free 'subscriber identity module' to fit it and transfer my PAYG phone number over to it.  :)

Now my daughter has bought some APPs under her apple store ID, is there any way I can copy or back up them for me to keep and use. ?

Some of the other APPs are free download like the iplayer and 4'od player.

As I do not use Windows I had to put win7 on a spare computer (off line ) and put iTunes 11 on it.
I have done a backup of the phone but it would not let me do the apps.

I was going to do a full erase before I started to use it because she said it keeps crashing  :o but I think as there was only 64MB of memory left :'( that's why .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: iPhone 4
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »

Hi

As far as I understand it, which makes sense, you cannot use another user apps and you need to purchase the apps if you need them.

The apps will be associated with the Apple ID and only this Apple ID user could use and install the apps on any Apple device linked to their Apple ID

I hope that makes sense and you can see the reason for it

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:01:24 PM »

Hi.
Yes I see.
Re...'I hope that makes sense and you can see the reason for it'  So Apple can try to make money out of me, but they will not  >:D  >:(

My last PAYG top up of £5 lasted five years  ::) .
So as long I can have it for emergency calls and take photo's and use the WiFi apps etc. I will be happy, that's if I remember to turn it on  ;D.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »

As d2d4j says, the apps 'belong' to those who purchased it.  That way your daughter can then use them on her new iphone 6.

I'd bought several apps for my ipad, which Ive now given to my daughter.   Even though I no longer own an ipad, I cant 'give' those apps to my daughter.
However, should I at some point in the future purchase another apple product, then I will be able to put them on my new device.

Hope that helps make sense of how they do things.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »

Hi

Many thanks but Apple do not make money from apps I believe.

The company or person who developed the app makes the money, but they should as they invested time and money developing the app

I think the apps just make Apple more attractive to users

I believe the same applies to Apple Music, where they pay royalties to performer, however, they will make a little money here, but they are offering a service

Sevenmuddle if I have his name correct, should be able to give insight into Apple apps etc. I apologise in advance if I have the wrong name, I'm writing this from memory

Many thanks

John

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:45:50 PM »

I am not an Apple person but my family all are and therefore I am the one who ends up trying to sort things like this out, I am embarrassed to say that I have relevant knowledge and that this might be useful :

Family sharing

Just a thought

Chunks

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »

Hi

Sorry, it was sevenlayermuddle and not sevenmuddle, so apologies to you

I thought family share were for photos, find my iPhone etc...

I would be surprised if it applies to apps as well but could be wrong sorry

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »

Does the same apply to music ?, she had a lot of 'pop' music even at 67  I like pop music  ;D so can I copy it any way ?.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »

I am not an Apple person but my family all are and therefore I am the one who ends up trying to sort things like this out, I am embarrassed to say that I have relevant knowledge and that this might be useful :

Family sharing

Just a thought

Chunks

Thank you for that.  I wasn't previously aware of family sharing for apps so I just checked

What types of content can I share with Family Sharing

The apps I purchased aren't marked as family sharing in the market.   

But another point I noticed that may be applicable to tickmike  "To share apps, you need iOS 8 or later" which I think rules out the iphone 4.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 09:15:31 PM »

But another point I noticed that may be applicable to tickmike  "To share apps, you need iOS 8 or later" which I think rules out the iphone 4.
:(         Yes I think it's 7.1.2 ?
Can I put iOS 8 on this phone.  ?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:01:49 AM by tickmike »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:26:59 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:46:03 PM »

Even if you could, I wouldn't even attempt it.   iOS 8/9 require more hardware resources, which is why it was never rolled out to the iphone 4.

There's quite of a lot of complaints that iOS 8 & 9 slows down some of the older devices that it was rolled out to. 
(ipad2 & ipad mini mostly, but there were a few iphone 5 complaints too).
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 12:31:06 AM »

Pretty sure, family sharing is available to all Apps (post iOS 8) at the developer's discretion.    I haven't gone through the process recently as I'm not that productive but ISTR the App submission process involves a tick box to allow it, and the default is 'yes'.

To be fair I have never tried it as a user either.  Whilst we do have several different Apple ids for the various device that kick around the house, these are for company vs personal.  Wouldn't seem to be in the spirit of 'family sharing' and, even if it worked, could probably get me in trouble if detected.  Admittedly though, I have never actually poured over the T&C, maybe I should, might be able to save a few bob! :D

Edit, clarified 'post iOS 8'.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:16:05 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 12:54:19 AM »

The company or person who developed the app makes the money, but they should as they invested time and money developing the app

So many things to catch up on in this thread, sorry for late arrival.    :)

The way it works is, the developer names the price for an App (from various price tiers).  I can choose any tier I like, it's my choice - but obviously the higher the price, the less sales volume I might get.  But no matter how much or how little I choose, Apple take their percentage.  I forget the legal terminology, but they are acting as a kind of sales agent, collecting commission.

Also, the developer pays $100 a year developer's program  membership fee, which entitles him/her to run test Apps on real devices,  and publish the Apps on the App Store.   

I hasten to confess, none of my Apps have ever made more than peanuts.  I think that is the same for vast majority of  dev's, certainly since the 'gold rush' of the first few years of the App Store.   Unfortunately The T&C of the developer agreement actually forbids me from going in to any great detail, even if detail that might be readily available from searching the web.  But that's basically how it works.  Hope nobody from Apple, reading this, decides I've already said too much.   :D

If you have a MAC and fancy having a go, you can download and install the SDKs for free.  But you won't be able to run on on real devices, just the simulators.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:17 AM »

Hi

LOL,  Apple doesn't miss a single trick to make money out of users and developers alike. The industry standard which apple appears to have set is  30%

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/software-engineer/app-store-fees-percentages-and-payouts-what-developers-need-to-know/
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything