Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wireless & Hard Wired network sharing  (Read 8298 times)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Wireless & Hard Wired network sharing
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

Whilst you are getting fed up with it and giving up I was just reading back the topic and see you are using ZoneAlarm?

I'm sure you know how to use ZoneAlarm so I don't think I am telling you what to do, just think of it as a "case study" i.e. my network.

I use ZoneAlarm Pro and Free editions on Windows XP and file sharing works fine with no problems.

Its all good so long as all your PCs are considered to be "Trusted" by ZoneAlarm. This can be achieved by going to ZoneAlarm > Firewall on the side menu > Zones tab.

You can add a trusted entry by clicking "Add" and then choosing one of the options.

If your happy with all the computers on your network, you can make life easy by selecting "subnet" and adding your enitre network subnet to the trusted zone. Or you can just do it by IP range or a single host/IP which is OK if the addresses don't change very often.

Provided all your ZoneAlarm PC's are set up like so you can be sure that Windows file sharing should be un-impeded by the firewall.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 06:17:01 AM »

I tired following your instructions soms, but I don't understand what info should need to be added to a new subnet entry - for example how do I know what IP range or subnet mask to put in there?  I'm finding this way to hard to understand and really don't feel like pursuing this any more.  I'm sorry for asking stupid questions and wasting everyone's time.  As I said earlier, this kind of thing is obviously for experts, not casual pc users such as myself.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 10:21:47 AM »

No worries about all the questions, we're glad to help where we can  ;)

I have attached a little screenie of how to enter the information for a trusted subnet zone.

The IP address is the IP address of your network... so if your computers IP address is say 192.168.1.4, the subnet address is 192.168.1.0.

So simply take a look at your PCs address and replace the last part with a zero and you have the network address.

The subnet mask is the default 255.255.255.0.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 [2]

anything