Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Home wiring rules & regs  (Read 20570 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Home wiring rules & regs
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »

I had nagging doubts I was imagining the NZ rotary dial phone thing, but a quick Google confirms it.

Attached :

In red, a shiny BT issue rotary pulse dialling phone

In (ivory?), a New Zealand rotary pulse dialling phone.

So, dialling 999 on a UK phone creates 9 pulses three times.
Dialling 111 on an NZ phone creates 9 pulses three times!

Ian

I must admit I had to check if it was April 1st and then found the same picture as you did. Very confusing in the exchange with the selector banks effectively numbered upside down.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »

I must admit I had to check if it was April 1st and then found the same picture as you did. Very confusing in the exchange with the selector banks effectively numbered upside down.

Heh heh, glad to see I'm not the only one who was dubious of Ian's claims, re NZ dials.  By the time Ian posted the pics I'd also followed the trail, and found the same photos on a wikipedia page.  Astonishing.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »

Sweden also had an odd dial, having moved zero to the other end of the dial.

I guess that would mean dialling emergency 112 would result in 2 pulses, 2 pulses, 3 pulses.

I also recall being told that one reason we chose 999 was because level 9 on rural strowger exchanges was already the route back to the parent exchange in the town ... which is where the emergency operator was located. If you were on the main exchange, dialling 99 was enough. Myth or real?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »

I also recall being told that one reason we chose 999 was because level 9 on rural strowger exchanges was already the route back to the parent exchange in the town ... which is where the emergency operator was located. If you were on the main exchange, dialling 99 was enough. Myth or real?

Real

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »

I've been somewhat distracted with other things for a few days, so, re the OP, a belated thanks to BS for the elucidation. Further searching suggests it's not so much a law or statute, but rather a question of breaching the Class Licence for the Running of Branch Telecommunication Systems.

I see that that the thread has evolved into an interesting discussion on the various methods of hacking the phone system, and I plead guilty to all the above.

Would you also take into consideration, m'lud, the following:

Coinbox off a UAX - dialling 0 for the operator would light a red lamp on the parent exchange switchboard. But, dial 9 for the parent, then the code back out to the UAX, then 0, and bingo, it's a white light - indicating an ordinary line. Place any call you like, and it was booked to the coinbox number.

And the easiest of all - placing a reverse charge call to a coinbox. This was subsequently scuppered when the pay on answer boxes produced a 'cuckoo' two tone sound to alert the operator.

There's no fun at all in System X.   :no:
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »

There's no fun at all in System X

pmsl.  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »

I awoke in the night, thinking of this thread, and thinking of the fact I have a perfectly functional Type 706 telephone in a cupboard, converted for modern wiring.  I'd used it for a while but banished it to a cupboard when DSL was launched, thinking it might spoil my line.  Actually though, knowing a little more than I did then, as long as it is filtered I can think of no particular reason it should be detrimental?

I have just attached it.   The Loop Disconnect Dialling still works.  And indeed - simply spinning the dial, hearing the dial pulses, awakens memories long forgotten.    Seemed to hurt my finger tip though, maybe we all developed/evolved tougher finger tips in these days?

As for an incoming call, wow - the ringer.  We still hear them occasionally on old TV series that are endlessly recycled on DTV channels but somehow, having one in the same room is still a surprise.  And a welcome one.

:)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:40 AM »

As for an incoming call, wow - the ringer.  We still hear them occasionally on old TV series that are endlessly recycled on DTV channels but somehow, having one in the same room is still a surprise.  And a welcome one.

:)

Indeed nostalgia is a wondrous thing.  :)

I have a roomful of vintage type phones mostly GPO and mostly for display, but 12 of them are “live” connected to my little automatic switchboard. I’m not permitted to have them all ring on an incoming call  :no: , but one or two throughout the house do.  :cool:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »

Actually though, knowing a little more than I did then, as long as it is filtered I can think of no particular reason it should be detrimental?

Quite so, 7LM, no reason at all.

On the filtered side of my VDSL plate, I have a modern 746 look-alike for standby in case of a power cut, but the nasty little warbler inside is disconnected. Instead, ringing is provided by a Bell Set 26, suitably modified with a 3K resistor between the coils. It sits between two closely spaced shelves, out of sight, and the cover is not fitted, so it's really loud! A wonderful sound, and absolutely no effect on ADSL.   :)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »

There's no fun at all in System X.   :no:

There is when you're writing the code in it!

Well, maybe not System X exactly, but you know what I mean

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »

Reading 4C's most recent post jogs my memory that I really should convert the bell-circuitry in my 1956 dated, bright red, Type 332 telephone. Once that has been done, I can then disconnect the infernal electronic noise generator of the £4-99 Tesco Value wall-mounted phone, installed in the hall.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »

Reading 4C's most recent post jogs my memory that I really should convert the bell-circuitry in my 1956 dated, bright red

Does it really need much conversion?

I have seen it stated that a series resistor is needed with old phones, to reduce the REN to less than 4, so that other phones in the home will still work.   But realistically speaking, I'd have thought that as long as other phones are electronic, and powered, their REN would be negligible, and so would still work with a single REN 'hog'.

The equation is complicated even further by the fact that, in a DSL equipped home,  each individual phone usually gets its own ring signal, from its own micro filter.   The energy to make any unpowered phones ring is still shared among all, of course.  So can't make up my mind if that helps if not.   ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »

With a centralised filter (specifically a NTE2005, if I remember correctly), there are no micro-filters in use within The Cattery. All my telephones will make a noise when there is an incoming call . . . they each have the relevant capacitor in series with their infernal tone callers.

It will be easy enough to insert a 3.3 k Ohm resistor in series with the 332's bell, I just need to fit the resistor either between T1 - T2 or T11 - T12. (I forget which strap I removed to take the bell out of circuit.)  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »

Yes I am sure it will work,  but a series resistor will reduce the force with which the gong is struck by the clapper.  It would seem a shame if that unnecessarily reduces the volume, hence why I question the need for a series resistor at all.

My own phone, mentioned above, was converted before I bought it.   If I can find the time I will have a peek inside, and see if a resistor has been fitted.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »

Yes I am sure it will work,  but a series resistor will reduce the force with which the gong is struck by the clapper.  It would seem a shame if that unnecessarily reduces the volume, hence why I question the need for a series resistor at all.

The simplest thing would be for me to test it with and without the resistor.

I just need to wait for that round tuit to roll in my direction.  ;)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything