Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Beefy UPS  (Read 18237 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Beefy UPS
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »

I just run a calibration test on my APC Smart 1500 UPS, it started at 09:33 and completed at 11:13. I'm not sure at what battery level it stops the calibration test (looking at the logs it was at 24% at 11:17) but it lasted almost 1.75 hours, load was 0.6amps which is 144w which is about right for what I have on. So it seems my 5 year old batteries are still in pretty good condition - I purchased it on the 28 Feb 2011
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

What does the battery condition/ rundown time depend on?

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2016, 12:17:44 PM »

I'm not sure at what battery level it stops the calibration test

20%.

If you discharge the (lead-acid) batteries further than that you run the risk of permanent damage, especially if it happens more than once or twice a year.

Ideally you never want to be below 40% charge as that will help maintain the lifespan of the (lead-acid) battery.

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2016, 01:25:10 PM »

What does the battery condition/ rundown time depend on?

I don't understand the question - genuinely. Didn't we go throught this a few posts back regarding load, charge & runtime? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-acid_battery#Applications is probably a decent place to start for lead-acid batteries.

They have a finite lifespan which is pretty much proportional to how deeply you discharge them, how often you do that and what the peak current you draw is. Temperature plays a part but can probably be ignored for 99% of the time in the UK for internal applications. External applications will have an adverse effect in certain areas - eg a car battery in Aviemore won't last as long as one in Leicester if the usage is the same.

Basically if you put more load on them more often and charge/discharge them more frequently then they don't last as long. There is no hard & fast rule as to how long they'll last - it depends entirely on the application/usage.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »

No, sorry, misunderstanding. I meant lifespan over the years which you've answered  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:31:17 PM by Weaver »

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »

Ah OK I thought I was losing the plot again :D

Edit - the nice thing about lead-acid batteries is that, unlike other batteries, pretty much everything is recycled into a new battery at end of life. I think its something like 98% of all materials are recovered and reused in a new lead-acid battery.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:09:21 PM by rizla »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 04:41:33 PM »

The reason I suggested leisure batteries is that they are designed for deep discharge cycles and should last longer.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »

The reason I suggested leisure batteries is that they are designed for deep discharge cycles and should last longer.

They're not jelv - they're like half-way between auto and UPS batteries in peak current/deep-discharge characteristics which is why they're in motorhomes/caravans.

They're a decent compromise but they're not going to be capable of what Weaver thinks he needs in terms of winter power cuts. I'm not convinced he needs the power he thinks he does but we'll maybe see as the thread goes on :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »

> I'm not convinced he needs the power he thinks he does but we'll maybe see as the thread goes on

I don't have an opinion on power, I just made up some number which I really hoped would be an overestimate, but I'm completely in the dark and am open to suggestions.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]