Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vodafone broadband  (Read 44912 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Vodafone broadband
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »

Agree with c6em

Thing is, if an ISP has a standard modem, then they can stand by its performance. After all, if a user picks a horrid modem and then reports faults, that's not fair on the ISP. Maybe recommending a modem is the way to go. You can't force users to use one, well maybe you can, but you shouldn't be trying to.

My second point. Must surely save money if customer service have a standard router whose UI they know so they can talk the user round it efficiently. Simply can't expect customer service to know what is going on with every known router out there. Maybe the way to go here is to say, “use our standard modem if you have a fault, otherwise fix the problem yourself.”

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »

My suspicion is that the "autoconfig@broadband.vodafone.co.uk" string is related to Vodafone's implementation of TR-069.  :-\
So the router connects with autoconfig@ then TR069 configures the router with the username/password of the day and then the router reconnects with the new credentials? Tricky :(

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »

Thing is, if an ISP has a standard modem, then they can stand by its performance. After all, if a user picks a horrid modem and then reports faults, that's not fair on the ISP. Maybe recommending a modem is the way to go. You can't force users to use one, well maybe you can, but you shouldn't be trying to.

But if the 'standard modem' is a piece of cr@p then the EU is just going to WANT to replace it even more. If they supplied a half decent modem/router as standard, then only a very small minority would want to replace it at all, and those people would in almost all cases be technical enough to deal with the consequences.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »

@loonylion  - good point. But you and I are talking about different species of ISPs, the sane and insane.  ;D

Both exist.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »

. . . The device Vodafone provides is a Huawei HHG2500; a combined router and VDSL2 modem branded up as a "Vodafone Connect" here in the UK . . .

Looking at the image, in the above link, makes me wonder if there is a serial console accessible . . .  :-\

That may be the way to do it!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 07:30:29 AM »

Has anyone managed to use their own router yet? I'm thinking of taking out a second FTTC line and Vodafone is one of the options but won't go anywhere near them if they won't let me use my own router...

bonzer

• Just arrived
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »

Has anyone managed to use their own router yet? I'm thinking of taking out a second FTTC line and Vodafone is one of the options but won't go anywhere near them if they won't let me use my own router...

Not that I'm aware of. I would've torn the device open and probed its serial pins like burakkucat suggests, but I ultimately decided to cancel during the 14-day grace period. Not only would Vodafone not allow the use of my own router, but they also couldn't port my landline number from Virgin Media, which said enough to dissuade me from committing to the 18-month contract. I wouldn't recommend the service in its current form to anyone who knows what a router is.

The customer service rep said they've had a ton of calls asking about using other routers, so here's hoping they drop this ridiculous policy before long. :fingers:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »

I wouldn't recommend the service in its current form to anyone who knows what a router is.

I admire your reasoning.   And I would speculate that the 'own router' policy was agreed upon at a meeting of senior executives, none of whom knew what a router was.   ::)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »

Looks like they're rolling out the same service across Europe with plenty of integrated services, so the router policy makes sense to me.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »

Just found this on an Ireland forum
The username is the serial number @vfiefttc.ie and the password is broadband. No problems, loads of people are using other routers and have the vodafone one in bridge mode. I am using a TP-Link Archer C7 and I get transfer rates of around 300 Mbit/s to my NAS. Great job.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90384290&postcount=7

SENTY

• Just arrived
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »

Vodafone use DHCP full protocol which uses the MAC address of the router supplied to even let you access the network in any way. The only way it would be possible to not use their hardware would be if your other router has the ability to clone the mac address of the Vodafone huawei router. Without that no username or password would ever work.

Neo

• Just arrived
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 03:15:03 AM »

Few things after testing:
1. Cloning of MAC address not helps.
2. With user name autoconfig@broadband.vodafone.co.uk you can connect, but IP address is from different range that normal, I think this is used for maintenance by engineers.
3. Can somebody share with other user name dsl000237***@broadband.vodafone.co.uk to compare if is same for all users or different;  for security reason, let’s not show 3 last digits.
4. Serial interface, I think, is disabled,  found information about other router  http://blog.asiantuntijakaveri.fi/2014/08/serial-console-on-huawei-b593u.html

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »

I'm thinking about changing to Vodafone Broadband too and I've just seen this thread. Not being able to use your own router is a bit concerning!

Chris T

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »

Where available Vodafone are using FTTC for the “up to 17Mb” tariff that you would assume to ADSL, presumably so Vodafone do not have to use ADSL kit at the exchange where fibre is available. The result of this that a 40/10Mb FTTC connection is capped by the router to 20/2Mb.

I should think that this is the main reason that VF have locked the router down so tightly, they would have no why of controlling this cap with a 3rd party router.

domski

• Just arrived
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 01:48:46 AM »

Few things after testing:
3. Can somebody share with other user name dsl000237***@broadband.vodafone.co.uk to compare if is same for all users or different;  for security reason, let’s not show 3 last digits.

I have joined Vodafone UK and I am pleased with speed & price  ;D
My username is dsl000269***@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

VF Connect router too locked down, I want to use my DDWRT like I did on BT.
The Echolife HG612 seems to connect fine, We only need correct username & password.

Does anyone here have the skills to open a VF Connect and read the data if I donated a new UK one?

I will have a chat with vodafone ireland as they give them access to put their routers into bridging mode
and it shows them the username and password.

Its strange VF UK not doing same for us  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4