Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Up-stream drops when phone is used.  (Read 4771 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Up-stream drops when phone is used.
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:13:56 PM »

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my up-stream SNR Margin graphs when the phone is used drops. >:D This is with the HG612 plugged in the test socket or NT5 face-plate.
This up-stream graph (green) shows I used the phone three times between 15.00 and 16.00

On the down-stream at 19.30 that's when my ISP did some tests.

Is this the signs of a HR joint. ?.

My ISP has done a copper line test last week and said it was ok.

A Quite line test is mainly ok but I have heard the odd crackle also last week when I lost Dsl for 15hrs I could hear my modem trying to do a 'Handshake', it was very quite though.

If I do a ring back test, wait till it times out and the tone has stopped I can hear more back ground noise, not sure if that's a good test though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:44:04 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Up-stream drops when phone is used.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »

On the down-stream at 19.30 that's when my ISP did some tests.

Looking at the X-axis, I presume it is the event that ends at 1922 hours to which you refer? The DS SNRM decay, between 1704 - 1722 hours, is rather puzzling.  ???

Is this the signs of a HR joint. ?.

Yes, it could be.  :(

A Quite line test is mainly ok but I have heard the odd crackle also last week when I lost Dsl for 15hrs I could hear my modem trying to do a 'Handshake', it was very quite though.

I will suggest that you try with another filter -- a temporary use of a microfilter, perhaps -- and recheck the quiet line test. If you still hear the occasional crackle and the presence of the xDSL signal, then that could also point to a failing joint . . . either HR or semiconductive. (Basically a joint showing non-linear properties will unbalance the differential mode circuit and could transform the higher frequency xDSL signal into low frequency components -- which would then transit the low pass filter to the telephony side.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »

Yes 1922 hrs is the isp test.

Thank you for clarifying it.  :)

1704 - 1722 street lights coming on, see graph below, street lights going off.
If It's not street lights what ever it is it's controlled by ambient light .

Ah, now I understand. Are any of those lights suspect? Does one of them emit an audible hum? Do you have any idea of their control circuitry?

[Moderator apology -- I clicked on the wrong icon and have edited your original post rather than the intended quote of sections of your post.  :-[  ]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:24:44 AM by burakkucat »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »

My poor post  :lol: It's past your bedtime  :)

Well it's just a theory about the street lights or do I have a 'photo - resistive joint' .

When I get time (and nice weather) I will take my AM Radio and headphones out with me and walk around our village to see if I can pick any interference up when the lights are on.

We have some new street lights in the village and I think they have some kind of electronic controllers it's also where the BT underground cables run back to the exchange.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:05:18 AM by tickmike »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:32:29 AM »

tickmilke: could you attach also your current Hlog and usual Hlog?

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 01:53:33 PM »

I'm curious about HR join Hlog. Furterhmore, I collect Hlogs.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:28:30 PM »

We have some new street lights in the village and I think they have some kind of electronic controllers it's also where the BT underground cables run back to the exchange.

[Having carefully checked the icon before left-clicking on it . . . ] I was wondering if the lights had a new type of controller, possibly something similar in functionality to that of remote controlled Christmas tree lights. Any form of electronics that switches the mains supply should be viewed with suspicion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »

;D It was the correct button.
I'm trying to find out if we have a form of street lighting controler that sends signals (from a remote data center) to a control cabinet then into the mains supply cable to the new street lights.

If I remember correctly my troubles started when the mains supply to the Fibre dslam cabinet was put in, I think it's the street lighting supply cable they connected into  :'(

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:45:29 PM by tickmike »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »

I'm curious about HR join Hlog. Furterhmore, I collect Hlogs.

Today's Hlog.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:11:54 PM »

;D It was the correct button.
I'm trying to find out if we have a form of street lighting controler that sends signals (from a remote

It would be called a thyristor mains switcher circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd67rOuGEg0

plexy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »

it may or may not be relevant, but ive had this same issue on my line since I moved in

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12979.msg246967.html#msg246967
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15399.msg286252.html#msg286252

There were originally faults on the line but BTOR fixed those. Despite that, the US SNR drops when phone ringing (more when off hook), and the US error count goes up. Its never seemed to cause an issue for us in itself (though combined with the old cross talk before the pair switch it could have played a part. my point is, on its own it seems to do sod all)

--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router