Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Setting up 2 static (wan) ip addresses on one connection?  (Read 2011 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Setting up 2 static (wan) ip addresses on one connection?
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »

I know that this issue might not happen that much these days. But I remember back in the day when people could buy a group of static ip addresses (even in addition to the main static ip address they would get, if they asked for that).

I was wondering, and this is an addon to my other question really, how did people use 2 static (wan) ip addresses at the same time? How would that be setup in the router? Would the router see multiple wan ip addresses on the connection?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Setting up 2 static (wan) ip addresses on one connection?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »

Hi Bowden

Good question and we use multiple external IP addresses

They are classed as alias IP addresses, and are easy to setup in router, well depending upon your router of course and once setup, very easy to use for separate forwarding etc.

If you have a HH, they used to be bridged I believe to a single device, but I believe recently on the later HH, they are natted

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Setting up 2 static (wan) ip addresses on one connection?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »

I have a block of static IPv4 addresses, as I said elsewhere. One of these addresses is the address of the LAN-facing interface on the router. The router's WAN-facing IPv4 interface address is one handed out by the ISP, allocated as a single from a separate pool/block. It's probably passed to the router by PPP, I forget, I can't remember having to configure it.

The other addresses in that block are mapped to devices that are on the LAN, DHCP-assigned by the router.

I do have alias addresses, for administrative convenience. The LAN-facing IPv4 interface to the router has an IPv4 alias that is in the 10.*.*.*/8 range. This is just so that I can pick an easy-to-remember address for router administration.