Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sharing WAN & LAN from Homehub - Am I doing something wrong  (Read 6612 times)

gobuddy

• Just arrived
Sharing WAN & LAN from Homehub - Am I doing something wrong
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »

To get decent wireless coverage I've been trying to find a way to get my HH5 router near the middle of the house while having my main wired PC near the master socket.

I've got a solution which involves plugging the LAN and WAN sockets on the router into the same switch - there is then a single cable to another switch which is connected to  the Openreach modem and a PC.

So something like this (hope ASCII art works OK for you)

Openreach---switch-----switch|------WAN socket on HH
              |              |------LAN socket on HH
              |
             PC

It seems strange connecting two sockets on the router to the same switch, but as I understand it one of them is on the WAN network and one on the LAN and the Homehub box itself has different networks on different sockets and doesn't route - but the switch allows you to combine them.

It seems to work - but am I doing something wrong, is there a clash somewhere on my network which will cause problem at some point?

Any thoughts much appreciated

Thanks

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Sharing WAN & LAN from Homehub - Am I doing something wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:30:10 PM »

Hello gobuddy. Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I must admit, I have never thought of using that type of configuration. At the moment, I am having difficulty understanding how it is working.  ???  Perhaps if you were to run Wireshark on the PC and look at the traffic "passing by", it might help understanding the mode of operation?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »

what prevents the pc taking the ip provided by the modem and being directly on the net with no firewall? thats what would concern me.

gobuddy

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »

Is there a DHCP server on the Openreach modem? If so is there a way to turn it off?

At the moment the PC has the gateway and IP address hard coded into the Windows config -  which will beep it safe won't it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:03:52 PM »

The Openreach modem [1] is a pure bridge between VDSL2 and Ethernet protocols.

There has to be a PPPoE client, the router, to establish the higher level connection.

I think I would be happier with a separate run of Ethernet cable . . . failing that, using physical splitters at each end of the existing Ethernet cable, using four of the wires for the modem's LAN1 port to the router's WAN port and the other four wires for on of the router's LAN ports to the PC.

[1] Huawei HG612 or ECI B-FOCuS /r ?

gobuddy

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »

It's the Huawei HG612. The PC has it's IP and gateway coded into the Windows config.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »

I ran a similar setup for a while with no problems. In fact, it was a bit more complex with 2 HG612's connected to a switch along with everything else and the load-balancing router upstairs on a different switch ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:43:54 PM »

It's the Huawei HG612.

Thank you.

The PC has it's IP and gateway coded into the Windows config.

I shall read that as confirmation that the PC has a statically defined IPv4 address and that its DHCP client is turned off.

gobuddy

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »

That's right.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »

Depending on the switches you could run two VLANs, with a trunk between the switches.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 11:57:08 PM »

This is a weird setup that, at first glance, shouldn't work. But it obviously does work, so deserves thinking about. So I did...

The first issue is that the interface between the WAN socket of the HH and the modem involves PPPoE, and isn't an IP protocol in the standard way of thinking. It doesn't use IP addresses, so doesn't use those to find Ethernet MAC addresses.

I think what is happening is that the router makes use of PPPoE discovery to find the modem. This involves broadcast packets at the Ethernet MAC level. Once discovered, the router and modem communicate directly with MAC-addressed Ethernet frames (not IP-addressed frames). With switches in between, the packets should only be seen on the appropriate ports (modem, HH WAN port, and the inter-switch trunk).

Traffic from the PC to the router is with IP-based packets. The IP layers of the software stack uses ARP to convert from IP addresses to Ethernet MAC addresses; the switches ensure that these packets on go through the appropriate ports (PC, HH LAN port, and the inter-switch trunk).

I think this answers @loonylion's concern. The modem isn't accessible to an IP network layer, so the PC can't masquerade with the modem's IP address ... it doesn't have one.

The Openreach modem, in bridge mode, doesn't have a DHCP server.

If there are security concerns, then "smart" switches with minimal management features could be used to create two VLANs. One VLAN with just the HH WAN port and the modem will keep the PPPoE frames entirely separate from IP packets.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 03:17:17 AM »

This is a weird setup, which I have no problem with. Is so no reason why it shouldn't be absolutely fine, it just saves on Ethernet cable that's all.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 11:42:02 PM »

I was pondering why we considered it weird, and came to the conclusion that we've had things too easy recently. For most of us, LAN networking is IP and Ethernet, with little distinction.

In reality, IP needs glue to wed it to Ethernet, and Ethernet is capable of carrying other protocols too, in parallel with IP.

Where we see TCP/IP as ubiquitous, it was a relatively slow burner. NetWare, NetBIOS, LAN Manager, Banyan Vines and Xerox all had different ways of providing LAN services in the past, and getting a TCP/IP stack was hard!

If we worked with a few more of these, we'd probably be very used to multiplexing different protocols over Ethernet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 12:11:18 AM »

. . . NetWare, NetBIOS, LAN Manager, Banyan Vines and Xerox all had different ways of providing LAN services . . .

Five names that ring dim and distant bells, especially Banyan Vines.  ;)  I seem to remember that there were some good features but TCP/IP was much more promising!  :D

Pages: [1] 2