Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Media panic, 'Apple disabling iPhones'  (Read 14524 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Media panic, 'Apple disabling iPhones'
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »

Yet another reason to avoid Apple products in my view.

Stuart

Your opinion is your own, but have you actually owned or used any Apple product?

I am personally contemptive of Microsoft Operating Systems and Android mobile devices, and of any home AV apparatus bearing the name Sony in recent years.  But that is all based on my personal experience of buying and using the products, rather than press reports or forums.  Until I have tried things for myself I try to be open minded.   :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »

In detail, this is the process I am guessing would now fix an affected iPhone, recovery mode and then restore...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

Ahh, thanks.   My concern was based on the previous issue that once the device showed the Error 53 message, all attempts of recovery failed including those who had tried to take it to an apple store or connect to i-tunes.    Therefore I was unsure if itunes would even be able to find the device to roll out the fix to.

Ive just seen this on apple
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205628

Interestingly they now say
"This test was designed to check whether Touch ID works properly before the device leaves the factory, and wasn’t intended to affect customers."
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 12:17:45 AM »

I wouldn't use any Android device because of security worries, but I do own a (apol) Sony WalkPerson that is Android based, a really old os, and because this device isn't connected to the Internet then I have no worries about security. Don't think that counts as enough of a level of experience in Android or Sony products in general. The Sony in-house malware CD scandal is enough to out me off buying Sony anything, same as the Phorm scandal means I will never buy BT.

I am a big Microsoft fan, but Windows 8 put me off using the products and I haven't done so in several years. I would rather like to know a bit more about Linux or BSD. iPad is what I use on a daily basis now, even though its crippled nature makes me frustrated. The fact that iPad apps can be uninstalled is a huge selling point in favour of iOS to me. I love my Blackberry Z10 (QNX) but don't use it much any more because I don't go out, unless I am in hospital, where the BBZ10 gets used as a 3G modem, needs updating to LTE poss.

Apol for wildly off-topic nature of this state-of-the-Union post.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »

My dislike of Sony dates back to a nasty experience with a DVD player/recorder.  It worked fine until one of the broadcasters switched to a different supplier of kit that encodes the broadcast video stream. 

That new broadcast equipment exposed a bug in the Sony device.  The DTV spec included reserved bit fields that were meant to be ignored and treated as zero.  That is common in protocol specs as it allows future enhancements for later versions whilst being compatible with existing implementations.  The new broadcast stream had these bits in use and Sony were clearly not ignoring the field, as it caused the picture to become malformed.

But Sony simply dug in their heels and refused to fix their bug, blaming the broadcaster.   That was 7 or 8 years ago and I believe it is still unfixed.   Only after several weeks of argument did the broadcaster, as the path of least resistance, agree to modify the broadcast apparatus to avoid the Sony bug.

Quite the opposite really of Apple's customer-friendly approach to this issue.   Full credit to Apple here  - I have always tended to judge vendors on how well they react to 'issues' and bugs, rather than the bugs themselves. :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 10:11:02 AM »

Regulars will know my love of all things Apple ............ a beautifully crafted product, which is why you get what you pay for like anything in life.

From all the smart phones available in the market place, BTOR chose the i-Phone for our 22,000 engineers to use. With that level of purchase, you'd think BT would have some sway with the purchase price and the renaming of the device to 'O-Phone' ?? Nah nah ..... Apple held true to their nature and said no to both.

When a large corporate invests millions into purchasing e-Devices such as this, believe me, they will have done their homework. MS ??? A very poor relation from what I've used before in the past.   

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »

I wonder if it the privacy & security features, and the ease with which security issues can be fixed, that make iPhones appeal to big corporates?

A friend of mine, in her career, reached a fairly senior position in government science division (not the UK).  She's recently retired but tells me that for a while the only phones they were allowed were Blackberries, being deemed the only device that had been approved as being sufficiently safe & secure for senior staff.

Of course, proper blackberries are now no more, being just an Android device with a badge.   I am fairly sure that iPhones are now standard issue. :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything