Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Media panic, 'Apple disabling iPhones'  (Read 14573 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Media panic, 'Apple disabling iPhones'
« on: February 06, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »

Interesting story doing the rounds.   

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

Disregarding the BBC's (and the Guardian's) hysterics, it does appear to me that Apple are validating  and enforcing the security and originality of the 'touch ID' built into the button of recent phones when you restore or update.  But if you've had the button replaced by an unnoficial 3rd party repairer, the button's validation will fail and the phone will be bricked.

I can see exactly why they have done so.  Their customers could be exposed to all sorts of fraud if a 'malicious' home button were substituted for the real item.  But worth being aware, you must now resist the temptation for cheap repairs if you drop your phone.    :'(

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Media panic, 'Apple disabling iPhones'
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »

So what's Apple's issue with having the screen repaired?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »

No issue. Apple will repair it for you.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:26:26 PM »

So what's Apple's issue with having the screen repaired?

As far as I understand it's not the screen that's the issue, it's the home button, which forms part of the device's security by performing the touch-id. 

I suppose it is comparable to what happens if you lose or break the remote key fob for your car.  Most manufacturers make you jump through a few costly hoops involving their own dealer network, and authorisation by their own factory computer servers, before you'll get a new working key fob.

You can't just stop by the local market stall and get them to give you a new key fob, else cars would be rather too easy to steal.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »

I think the problem is that how the upgrade to ios9 has rendered previously working devices into a brick without warning.   Having had a quick scan on their forums there are some claiming never to have had any repairs, or those who have replaced cracked screens.

I know my SIL has had a few cracked phone screens in her time, and I know that my bro has had them repaired elsewhere.    Despite the fact that he lives in near locality to an Apple store.   There are many who dont.   For me it would be the best part of a day to visit an Apple store to get a cracked screen repair.  I can understand why people opt for a much cheaper and quicker local solution.

I'm not sure about the car analogy as I thought car manufacturers could not insist that repairs and servicing were carried out by them.   If someone bumped into your car and you had the bonnet or windscreen replaced elsewhere, then that does not later make the whole car impossible to drive and render it an expensive decoration to sit on your driveway. 

I can see exactly why they have done so.  Their customers could be exposed to all sorts of fraud if a 'malicious' home button were substituted for the real item.  But worth being aware, you must now resist the temptation for cheap repairs if you drop your phone.

Yes fair enough, but it appears to be affecting not just the home button repair.    Apple should perhaps give people an option to back out.    As you know the enforced upgrades with no going back is one reason why I am unhappy with Apple due to what it did to my ipad.    The other moan I have about Apple is the silly stupid prices they do charge for repairs and addons.   There should be some sort of backup for those who have already undertaken an unauthorised repair, and not leaving them with a paperweight unable to access data.  :'( 

What about those who havent had any repairs and also found themselves with a totally useless phone with all your data gone - link

The iPhone 6 Plus in question had never been taken apart, damaged, or otherwise compromised, and the mystery surrounding why it and others like it had been hit with Error 53 remains.

Tough luck if your phone is over a year old and you have no option but to buy another phone, its particularly not good when most phone contracts are for 2 years.   Its fair enough if you drop it and break the screen, then that is your fault..   but disabling a phone through an iOS upgrade is not on.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »

You'd think they would of simply made it so the touch ID sensor would be disabled as if couldn't be verified.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »

Doesn't surprise me in the least, Apple have such little regard for their customers, they are just after more and more of their money.

As regards cars, their are a few you have to go to the main dealer for new keys and to get them coded, but the majority can be done by a suitable locksmith.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »

From The Guardian, some more detail...

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

A spokeswoman for Apple told Money (get ready for a jargon overload): “We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

AFAIK,  it's an urban myth that you have to buy a new phone once an out of warranty device breaks, Apple will repair or replace  for a cost.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/other/

These prices are an 'ouch' being of the order of around half the cost of new, but not as bad as a buying new phone.

Of course they won't necessarily repair a phone that's already been tampered with by somebody else.  That's quite reasonable, they're not refusing to fix their own product, they are refusing to make good somebody else's repair.   The Guardian photographer had already had his fixed in a "local shop" in Macedonia, I suspect that would be the reason he was told he'd have to buy a new one.

As to why not just disable the Touch ID? Good question, and while I have no answer, I suspect it may be tied in to Apples quest to clamp down hard on privacy and security.   Controversially, and I don't necessarily support them on this, modern iPhones are locked down so tight now that even the government security services, with all their massive resources, and even with Apple's help, are unable to access data on 'locked' iPhones.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »

As you know the enforced upgrades with no going back is one reason why I am unhappy with Apple due to what it did to my ipad.

I'm not sure I'd agree that updates are ever enforced, you can always say 'no', but I do agree about the problems of being unable to go back.

It's odd because with OS X and Macs the policy seems the opposite, you can install later versions, you can go back, or you can multiboot with different versions,  all fully licensed and legit.   The only restriction seems to be you can't go back to an earlier version than that which shipped with the device, justified on the basis the hardware might not be supported.

I'd be fascinated to know the logic for that fundamental difference twixt iOS and OS X.   I could speculate it might be down to the App Store model... would iOS customers start asking for refunds after they downgraded, for Apps that needed the higher version?  And who would pay the refund, Apple or the developer?  Even then, OS X has an App Store too, so that argument doesn't really stand up.   ???

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »

Update on the Beeb I see, Apple have now issued a fix, and hinted about reimbursing people who were forced to buy new phones.   :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35611756

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »

Very happy that that have decided to roll out a 'fix'.    :)

Not sure how it would help those devices which are already bricked, but its a start.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »

Very happy that that have decided to roll out a 'fix'.    :)

Not sure how it would help those devices which are already bricked, but its a start.

I would guess that a restore through iTunes would be all that is needed.  That seems to be the process that previously hit the block.

Or for those few who don't have a suitable PC with iTunes, a visit to an Apple Store.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »

Or for those few who don't have a suitable PC with iTunes, a visit to an Apple Store.

Or use a 'Virtual computer' with widows os  and install itunes.  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »

In detail, this is the process I am guessing would now fix an affected iPhone, recovery mode and then restore...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

Or use a 'Virtual computer' with widows os  and install itunes.  ;)

Might work but wouldn't comment, speaking from a Microsoft Free Zone.  :graduate:

But I quite liked Apple's suggestion too (from the above link)...

If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
:D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »

Yet another reason to avoid Apple products in my view.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2

anything